Spring aeration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassroots lawn, Mar 18, 2007.

1. grassroots lawn

grassroots lawn LawnSite Member

Anyone try to do a spring aeration to break up compacted soil to get the fert down in the root zone..This is without seeding.I totally understand the crabgrass aspect of this..Any responses

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

No. Not sure what you meant by the crabgrass aspect - but you will get that and a lot of other summer annuals if you aerate/stir the soil in the spring. In my opinion, summer weeds are harder to control than winter annuals. Also - you need to put 90% of your fert down from Sep-Dec for cool season turf (fescue, blue) - you are in Pa, right? Aeration is a great cultural tool - just do it when you will get the most benefit. Just my $.02. Good luck.
  3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Deep shaded lawns I aerate and seed in the early spring because if you aerate and seed in the fall two things are working against you.

1. The leaves are still on the trees which blocks sunlight which limits germination. In the very early spring there is no leaves on the trees yet.

2. The leaves start heavily dropping when your new grass is just getting going. When it rains, it mats down and does damage new grass.

All other lawns get aerated in Sept.- Oct.
  4. Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs. LawnSite Member

I aerate and fertilize in the spring on all my sports fields. It is very beneficial to me. Just my .02.
  5. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

I thought the holes would allow the crabgrass to grow easier. You can not put down a barrier if you want grass to grow and then to make holes? I don't like aerating in the spring but, if you have to you have to.
  6. grassroots lawn

The reason i asked the question is that i just read something on this in the one magazine i get. It just made sense to aerate the compacted soil,like the newer developments.seems most of the new developments have a lot of topsoil stripped off and lot of shale in the soil..Really strange though,these new homes are being put on farmland,topsoil should be prime,correct.Anywho aerate then no seed,just pre emergent and like the mag says,better results..Any comments...Still learnin.jjjjjjjjjj
  7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what magazine was that? just curious, i would like to read that.

i'm going to aerate soon, then apply premerg after. i have read and been told that aerating a lawn is beneficial anytime you do it especially on those newly developed properties....as long as you don't put premerg down, then aerate because then you will break the barrier you just applied.
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't think you were supposed to aerate then apply a pre emergant as it would cause damage to the root zone? In the same way I thought you were not supposed to put a pre emergant down then rototill in the garden?
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

While you would think that farmland would have good soil, it's not always the case. One practice that's common in our area is the builder's sell off the good topsoil and leave the new homeowners with junk. Another good reason to take soil samples.
  10. grassroots lawn

Totally know where your coming from natty