Spring Aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nebraska, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I know this question is going to have been visited before but here it goes.
    How early is too early to aerate in the spring? Is it just a matter of the cores sitting on the turf and more visible than on a green lawn?

Right now we have dormant turf, ground is not frozen, and the idea/plan is to get the aerations done asap. In years past we have waited but we have too much to get done before the grass needs cutting.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I plan to start next week. I usually get all the non irrigated lawns done in March and do the irrigated ones done in April after they turn on the water so we can find the head easier. April 1 is when they figure it is safe to turn them on in the Chicago area.

3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on starting next week. The ground isn't frozen and the grass hasn't to grow. It's 1 less thing that will need to be done come cleanup time.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

next week here in s.e. iowa too...

5. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Like the idea Eric.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Thought I was the only one looking at getting a start on it early. They are now talking the possibility of snow for eastern Nebraska Midweek?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Core Aerating is the best thing you can do to your lawn...following that up with overseeding makes all the difference in the world. Personally, I like doing it in late Spring, Early Summer.

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I know the effects of aeration in the spring has on the quantity of crabgrass has been discussed before, but here goes again. Aren't you just breaking up your protective barrier (pre-M) by aerating in late spring/early summer and increasing the amount of crabgrass ? Besides that every year we seem to have watering restrictions mid-summer, which would just kill off any new seed that got a start.

jeff

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend that owns a spray company. We had the discussion of breaking the pre-m barrier. He told me the manufacturer says it doesn't break the barrier. He said that common sense says this can't be 100% true.

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe a little of both.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I swear you were reading my mind again...most of my customers already had their preemerge applied...and I too don't know what to tell those customers who are fairly well informed of what will happen to the barrier if I aerate....How about some of you "chemical experts" give us some points of view here?? thanks much