Spring Aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gman75, Mar 5, 2011.

1. gman75

gman75 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

When do you guys start your spring aeration? How long into the season do you do them?

Any help appreciated.

2. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually will keep aerating until it gets real hot, I know last year I had to stop the 2nd week in June.

3. GTC1187

GTC1187 LawnSite Member

I would say anytime is a good time to do an aeration, regardless if it's spring or not. Just be sure to get them to schedule another one in 6 months. :)

4. gman75

gman75 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thnx guys.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Until I get busy with mowing. Not worth forfeiting mowing accounts for aerations. I may hire a helper this year but workman's comp, payroll hassles and increased insurance rates may squelch this plan.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gman75

gman75 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

As of now, i plan on just getting what i can get regarding aeration. I hit em' hard in the fall and did real good. To me, it just seems that more people in my area look for it in the fall. Hopefully i'll catch a few of the ones who didn't want it then.

7. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

interesting, because i've found the exact opposite in IL, nobody thinks about their lawn in the fall, (ironic because the best time to renovate cool season grass is in the fall :confused: ), during the spring, i get a ton of dethatching calls, as well as aeration.

8. silverwoolley

silverwoolley LawnSite Member

I would offer aeration any time. I don't think it ever hurts to aerate a lawn. I don't usually up-sell it because I would have to go rent a machine but If im going to profit then I do the job whenever they request it.

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Around here the words "spring" and "aeration" do NOT go together.

Dethatch in the spring, aerate in the fall.

10. gman75

gman75 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I'm not going to up-sell it either, it will just be listed as one of my services. If a customer wants it, I'll do it. I agree that aeration will never completely hurt a lawn but it just doesn't make sense to do it in the heat of the summer when the yard has been baken at 90 degrees for a long time. To a certain extent irigation will help but i'd rather do it in the fall or early spring.