Spring annuals

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, Feb 10, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

When is the best time to plant annuals for the spring. We have an apartment complex we can get if we want it. This will be our first commercial account and also was wondering are pansies best for spring commercial annuals? Or are there better options? I know around here all i see is pansies in the fall nothing else.

Thanks

2. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Rich - I can't help you too much - your Zone is waaaaay different from mine. I've had pansy's in the ground for a couple months now. but it sounds like you're new at this (like me!)
    I rely heavily on a couple local growers - Three Star and Village Nursery - but especially Three Star. since they are growing the plants, they help me with what to use & when. And are totally cool with the fact that I'm new.

I try to go with plants that look nice, but are more bulletproof (disease-wise) and don't need a lot of deadheading, etc. (unless it's an account that is paying for that type of manucured service).

3. jay

jay LawnSite Member

When you plant your annuals do you replace the ones that arn't blooming later in the year. If so, do you figure this in your cost up front or bill for it later after work is complete.

4. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how it works up there but pansies are a big crop in the south because they thrive in their cool but warm winters. Farther north you won't get the same display for as long. You need to find out how many seasonal color changes they want. In Ky you may see some early spring pansies, mainly summer crop and possibly a fall crop of mums and pansies. If the winter is mild the pansies will overwinter here and look great early spring. Work with whomever you feel is going to give you the best info. annual wise as your dealer. They will most likely give you a price break as well.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Begonias and Petunias seem to be quite a popular item in our area. We have custom oredered the petunias before to compliment the color scheme of the company we won the bid on.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Not to say its worth much, but my best plan is to plant annuals whenever everyone else does. I use the same schedule as Brickman does, and usually plant about the same time. I don't even know when that is. Annuals are a pain to me. I just hate spending money on something that is going to die in 3 months.

Also, I use the 'when the nursery has them' theory. When they start stocking up on annuals, I now its almost time to begin.

The 'horticulturally incorrect' but "hey, it works" method.

steveair

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

When and what you plant should depend on what the client is willing to pay for--how many rotations a year. We usually put in pansies in the fall and they do well the following spring. The summer annuals go in around May 1. Check the last typical frost date for the locale of the job. Our close in suburbs can be planted earlier than the western ones. There are several suppliers near you that should be able to give you availability dates as well.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

annuals in my opinion are great. i use pansies in the early going, they usually last till middle of june. then i use some others , they last until october. then its kale, mums, and more pansies. annuals r dirt cheap and give u year round color. BOB