Spring break '07

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a few pics of what I've been doing with my days off at the restaurant. The last 3 weeks I've been able to get off work on Tuesday at 2PM, drive an hour north, work until dark, work 12 hour days on Wednesday and Thursday, and then work a little Friday morning before leaving to go work an 8 hour shift at the restaurant at noon on Friday. The pictures out front show that it's still a little rough out there, things aren't quite together yet, but getting close.

Here's the driveway. Yes, it's pitched the right, not a whole lot we could do about that. We are going to have someone bring in some hot mix to lay a little strip right where the asphalt meets the pavers to keep water from running off the pavement and under the pavers.

Here's a long shot from alongside the garage. Weather was a bit nasty when taken, but as you can see the view isn't too shabby. Full beach access, this is our new party location. :drinkup:

Picture doesn't do justice, but it was gumbo when this was taken. It poured the night before, too much mud to even start to do finish grading. If you can see in the far left the gravel looking area is the crazy septic system. It's pressurized and the field is 20X40 with small black tubing laterals buried 8" deep. We placed 1-2" drain rock over the top, low maintenance was the name of the game. If it was my house, I would have planted grass, but dad doesn't want to pay someone to mow it.

Directly ahead of where the 303 is pointed in the corner of the property will be a 20X40 paver area with a propane fired heater and a 48" round fire pit.

Here's the 5640 we rented,

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Looking good, couple weeks and the ground will be a bit dryer and I will be out doing that.

Is the NC and the flag the company logo or is that from the cat dealer?
  3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

Nice nice like the CAT 303:usflag:
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

NC Machinery is our statewide Cat dealer. Hopefully we'll get some nicer weather so I can do some finish grading in the next couple days. I gotta get this job done though, I have 4 lawn cleanup jobs to do and I still don't have my truck yet. It's gonna be busy the next couple months. Restaurant job, my lawn business, and school all at once.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

And we thought you could just run machines!
  6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

When your busy and to many things to do,the time flys.Its when it is raining everyday like here and you can't get out there is when it drags along.Good luck.
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Scag.....Ok, here's the deal........plant the lawn and I will drive up there and mow it. Looks beaufiul....I sure miss the ocean......and here I thought when I opened up the thread, you were gonna have all sorts of pics of the waitresses and such partying down at the folks place :)
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

That driveway is going to take quite a load. What did you use for base under your sand?

I would go with at least 12" of roadbase compacted in 2" lifts, otherwise you could have major issues. At least we don't have the frost heaving problem they do back east.

Judging by your picture, you didn't excavate out enough material for that much base, but I could be wrong.

Additionally, you could have used the interlocking wall to hold back the driveways lateral force and kept the driveway at proper grade at the right, it would have required some geogrid pulls to tie it into the roadbase though. Or, just a few overpour blocks would have done fine as well.
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think we might let scag visit the hardscaping section soon!!!:weightlifter: :weightlifter:
  10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking! With a thread titled "Spring Break '07", those weren't the kind of mountains I was hoping for!

Nice looking pad though. I love the view of the ocean.:cool: