Spring Broadleafs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Jan 15, 2007.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Are spring broadleafs affected by freezing temps? With 70+ degrees around here in Atlanta, are the broadleafs going to be affected if we have a herd freeze?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Here they aren't, well most aren't. Spring broadleaf weeds tend to be cold hardy.
    Here most of our spring broadleaf problems are with dandelions, clover, and thistles.

3. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

The label will tell you the recomended range of temps in which to apply that herb. As long as the day time temps are warm, the night time temps should not be a problem. Each individual product will have its own recomendations. 2,4-D ester products have a lower effective temp. Joe

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Of the broadleafs I have observed lately, all of them are the usual suspects. None of them are associated with Spring weather except for a few dandelions.

You basically have chickweed, henbit, bittercress, plantain, and clover. All of these are cold hardy, so they will survive just fine until the warmth arrives for good.

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

All a freeze will do is slow them down. The broadleafs that are small now are just waiting for some warm days to kick off the growing process.

I take metal notes of lawns as I drive around, some of the ones with henbit look very bad now since we had a week near 70. The warm weather really made it grow.