Spring Clean up estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hello

I Went to bid a spring clean up to day and it is my first so I told her I would get back to her with the estimate. The lot is about 5000 sq feet with mild trees and bushes. Her husband died in october and they did not do any fall cleanup.

She wants all the dead leaves off the grass out of the flowerbeds and any where else they are. There is tiny twigs and crap all over the lawn as well.
    My questions are is there anything that would be esier than raking the entire lawn to get all the stuff off of it? I am not sure a blower would work on the twigs enless it was a massive one.

I am thinking of estimating her $400.00 for the cleanup. I fugured it would take about 10 hours and would have myself and 2 other guys helping.

Thanks
    BJ

2. BLS 2002

BLS 2002 LawnSite Member

Seems like a lot for such a small yard.. It would be easier to tell if I saw it.. 10 hours for 3 guys? 30 man hours? for 5000 sq ft? Must be a lot of leaves..

3. Green-Cuts

It is alot because they did not do any fall clean up. There is a lot of odd crap all over that would take forever to rake by hand. What do you think would be a good price for that size of a lawn??

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Not even half that but then again I don't know what all is involved. I know I lived where there is a National Forest directly behind my house I grew up in and you wanna talk about massive leaves, at 8 years old w/my best friend we cleaned it right up with rakes. No mowers or mulchers (werent invented yet). Took us 3 hours tops AND we would mess around jumping in the piles of leaves.

Usually had to do it 3-4 times a season and were paid in SHASTA soda (guy worked for Shasta)...

5. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love the SHASTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on equipment you have and if there are beds and shrubs to clean out. The ones I do in that range are between 175-225. Just myself and includes dump fee of ten/cu yd. A dethacher and backpack blower is really all you need.

7. Green-Cuts

Dumb question

What help is the dethatcher? To rake up the crap on the lawn? Do they have cheap dethachersthat could be used? Or just the old fasion way of a metal rake?

Thanks
    BJ

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I cleaned 7,760 square foot lot today for $30.00 I did under bid a little though because it looked like less than it was but by myself I got it done In two hours and we ussally charge $30.00 an hour. All I used was a blower,rake 21"bagged push mower,and gloves. I filled two trash cans and two lawn refuse bags by chopping it up in the lawn mower one can was all sticks that i broke down in to little pieces so I should have bid like $50.00 but I got a weekly lawn contract out of her and I think she is going to pay in full by june 1st. So what the hell!bBut $400.00 dollars I wish you lived by me I would have to litteraly beat the customers off with a stick!!!

9. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

depending how many leaves are on the lawn, if to many ihave to blow first, I run the dethacher over the lawn to get everything out of the lawn then blow the beds out and clean everything up at once. Run it over with the lawn mower on a low setting after its picked up. It comes out great in no time.

10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

I Went to bid a spring clean up to day and it is my first so I told her I would get back to her with the estimate. The lot is about 5000 sq feet with mild trees and bushes. Her husband died in october and they did not do any fall cleanup.

She wants all the dead leaves off the grass out of the flowerbeds and any where else they are. There is tiny twigs and crap all over the lawn as well.
    My questions are is there anything that would be esier than raking the entire lawn to get all the stuff off of it? I am not sure a blower would work on the twigs enless it was a massive one.

I am thinking of estimating her $400.00 for the cleanup. I fugured it would take about 10 hours and would have myself and 2 other guys helping.

Thanks
    BJ[/QUOTE]
    Do ya have a mower w/ a bagger?.....definately a good bk pk and a rake, shouldnt take 2-men more than 1/2 aday?......Think you need a system.....money doesnt grow on trees ya know:usflag: