Spring Clean-up For Free

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Piscitelli Landscape, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Piscitelli Landscape

Piscitelli Landscape LawnSite Member

Ok so I was doing flyers like every year and I took a peek at one of the flyers in the mailbox already ( I looked I didnt take it out, I am fair) but the guy was advertising a free spring clean-up with a signed contract for Lawn Care. Is he NUTS! thats is where I make my money in the spring not on grass. What is this industry coming to. One of my cusomers gets charged 145 a month for grass and 300 a month for bed maintanence because his house is all beds. This guy would get burned on a account like this. What is he thinking.

2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

are you saying you go around and put flyers in peoples mailboxes? that's a federal offence. Free cleanups is a good way to get customers, and I'm sure it's just for the first season.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

free equals failure..... your work is not worth anything any more....

4. haybaler

from ma

Don't look at it as free work. you can easely drop 3 grand in advertising and only get a couple customers. you could do 20 "free" spring clean-ups and get 20 good customers. think outside the box

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Every time I read that I start laughing. I can't belive its a federal offence to put flyers in some ones mail box. In Canada if we have a sign that says no flyers, people obey it, we don't need a law against it!

Anyways I agree, if done right a free cleanup could get the signature on the contract, but I would NEVER do it without that.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

30 customers at 200 per cleanup....6000 of free labor... do you know how much advertising that would buy.....thats outside the box alright, its outside the poor house....

7. haybaler

from ma

I was thinking 20 @ $150. hey, whatever works. I really don't care, Let them hang themselves if they want. I just go out and do a good job and get all my business through word of mouth.

8. mezammit

mezammit LawnSite Member

What does your guys spring clean ups consist of as far as the services that you provide.

Thanks, MIKE