Spring Clean up/ shrub trimming

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BLC1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Our typical customer wants us to come through in the spring and do the usual clean up beds, edge, trim shrubs and freshen up mulch.

In the past most of our residential customers don't really mind if we come later in the spring (May and June) and do all this. I have had a lot of customer asking us to get started now.

My question is what do you about the shrubs if you go through and prune some now but in a month they have may have 6" of growth on them.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

It would be a bigger problem if things DIDN'T grow after you cut them.

;)

I'm not sure what the issue is. Money now. Money when they need cut again, and money when they need cut again after that...

3. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Whittaker's Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

Depending on the bush and the client, if a client requests that I prune some, and I know they will grow back I tell them, that if I prune them, then they will be back a a minth or 2, most wait till july. But some.of the wealthier ones request to have it down evert 6 -8" of new growth and I give them a good discount... I treat all my customers the same tho, as far as pricing, I do occasionally prune some of my lower class clients for like $10 when it takes me 3-4 hours, just because here they are quite popular and have gotten lots of clients from them!

4. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

You cant stop them from growing after you cut them.

5. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yeah, I understand they're going to keep growing. I was curious if you guys are cutting anything early spring or pushing them back a month. I guess more people are wanting Mulch early on this year and that's what prompted the question
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Whittaker's Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

Yeah it depends on the bush, like I pruin the pines right now