Spring Clean-Up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ACutAbovesiny, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I have been wondering when is the best time to put a pre emergent for crab grass? I do my Clean-up the second week in February which consists of aerating, seeding, fertilizing and lime. Should I apply the preemergent then or wait? I always thought that it would kill the grass seed. Should I wait or what :confused: :confused: :confused: ?

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you do clean ups the second week of febuary? There is still another good month left of winter especially in NY...........

3. ACutAbovesiny

As long as there is no snow I need to start early so I dont fall behind. When do you start??

4. ACutAbovesiny

how bout that pre emergent?

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

The pre emergent will effect your seeding. Period. You should consider switching to a fall aerate,seed and liming. It will solve your problem. However, if your problem has to do with lawn repairs made from plowing,such as rolled turf, then it gets tricky. You will have to seed in the spring. Figure out when the seed will start to germinate if you put it down as soon as you can. Look at historical weather data to see if you will have a long enough window for germination before the crabgrass will germinate. We have a slight spring window of oppurtunity for this with cool season turf up here. Otherwise you are stuck using a sidurion type product that you can use at time of seeding for crabgrass pre-emergent.Big $$$ though. I prefer the one lesco sells with the starter fert included. This will however not completly replace your pre-emergent round, just delay it a bit. My 2 cents..

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My customers often seed after i applied pre emergent--it often works just fine. I suspect per rye will come through the crabgrass barrier. Has anybody else seen this? I suggest you try it on a test area next year.
    And you can always treat with Drive for crabgrass control--even on new grass. Apply the pre emergent 4 weeks after seeding.

7. ACutAbovesiny

All helpful info...thanks alot guys.