1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

spring clean up

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by phil413, Feb 21, 2012.

1. phil413

phil413 LawnSite Member

So is $40 to $60 still a fair price per hr on spring clean ups? And $.50 to $1.00 on edging per ft?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That depends upon the quality of the job... If the customer is happy with the job and the cost, and you're happy with the job and the cost, then you have a business... What I think about those prices mean nothing... :)

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

One of my residential clients has around 10,000 feet of cut edging. If I could charge a dollar a foot I would. :usflag:

99% of the time I'm able just to re-define them without a big edger and it only takes me about 2.5 hrs. just to do that.

Ultimately I just charge per hour, maybe a very small equipment fee and call it a day.

As for cutting new edges, price of labor+hauling of spoils+plus bed edger rental.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

And even cutting new areas can just plain take days to get the stone at just the right height, for the beds and the lawns at the same time... Sometimes, you are doing some serious terra-forming just to put in a few yards of edging... :)

5. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a good hourly rate per man hour. as far as edging goes if you can get it more power to you. like others have said generally i do it hourly or just have a number in my head for it and factor it in with the job.

6. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds about right on the edging if your talking about using something like a ez trench machine. On spring clean ups I love those just charge you man hr rate per guy and set a minimum + disposal fees. For instance if you charge $60per man hr and have 2 guys and you estimate it will take 2 hrs charge $240+ dump fee. I would set my minimum at 2 hrs. Hope this helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. CozyHollow

CozyHollow LawnSite Member

What do you believe is a fair market wage to charge per hour? I'm from the North East and own a one man operation. I figure $150.00 an hour is a fair wage and covers everything. (everything means cut, weed wack, edge and blow) What say you?

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say you'd go broke here, no one is going to pay that around here!

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is why it is so rediculous to ask anyone but yourself WHAT TO CHARGE!

If you don't know your costs you don't deserve to be in business. Anyone can cut grass, not everyone can run a lawn care business. Sorry for being so in your faces but I still can't believe anyone would take advice on how to charge from anyone else. I don't want to seem like an a-hole but you guys have to figure out what to charge by yourself.
    I know its work to figure costs but how in the world do you know if you are making a profit, breaking even or losing money by taking a recommendation from someone here. Just a few things to think about, costs of insurance-wages-comp-depreciation-overhead-gas-repairs-maintenance-licences-profit and the list goes on. If you don't know these things, how do you know if you are going to stay in business.
    Guys can call me a dink for this but I am just trying to jar you into thinking about the business side of this game. Good Luck. I'm done for now.

10. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't you just ask that in another post? How in the world does he have a clue what you should charge. If you don't want to take the time to figure out what to charge, just start at 150 per hour and if it works go for it. I think business will be alittle slow for you though.