Spring Clean UP

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ajreeves, Mar 7, 2014.

1. ajreeves

ajreeves LawnSite Member

I have a 96 unit apt building who I am putting together a quote for. They want street sweeping included in the spring clean up. I plan to use a bobcat with a sweeper attachment to get the job done. What is the going rate for this type of service? Hourly rate I'm sure? And I know add up overhead profit etc to get my cost but I don't agree with that most the time bc my overhead is very low as pay for most of my equip and carry very few loans. I just don't want to leave any money on the table! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone. Located in Southern NH
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Sweepers average 65-75 per hour. Might be cheaper to sub out to a sweeping company?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobcat day rate with operator is $450/$650:waving:

4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

$450 seems extremely cheap since renting a bobcat is $200, getting delivered and picked up is $150. Fuel is ? Even $650 seems on the low end.
    Is that what most people are charging?

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Wow that's fking nuts. I'd be out of business in a week if my $40k loader (plus attachments, plus trucking/trailering) could only fetch $450 a day. I get that much for a $10k lawn mower.

And by no means am I calling you a low baller, if that's the going rate in your area than there's nothing anyone can do about it, it just goes to show how much the market varies from area to area.

Also....a good argument as to why "cost plus profit" isn't always the best way to price a job, the local market should always be taken into consideration.

Edit: I quoted the wrong guy, I'm referring to what landrus posted. Gimme a break, it's Friday night :drinkup: :drinkup:

6. ajreeves

ajreeves LawnSite Member

I see you are from MA, semi close to where we are. What do you guys get for the service in your area? I was thinking $125/ hr or somewhere in that ballpark?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I don't do any sweeping, and not a ton of skid steer work in general, but I won't bring the loader somewhere for less than 80-90 an hour with just a bucket, add an expensive attachment and yeah, I don't think 125 is unreasonable. Obviously there's a million other factors that are relevant here., but I think 125 is a good neighborhood to be in.

Just for fun;
    If I were asked to bid on a lot sweeping job.....if I figured it'd take about a day.
    8 hours x 85 an hour or the loader = 680
    + 150 a day for sweeper rental
    + trucking out sand/crap

Would put me right around 1k, which is right where you are with 125 an hour

8. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget that just because you dont carry loans doesn't mean you wont have to maintain the equipment or replace it! :waving:
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My cousin has a cat, 100 an hour. He's in upstate NY. His prices are on the high side for the area, but they do fantastic work. You might get under priced on 125.

I don't know much about street sweeping but if you think you'll have trouble making money on rented equipment you might want to consider other ways to accomplish it. Again, I know nothing about this service, just know what he charges for the bobcat.