1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spring Cleanup - Rake vs. blow

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RobH, Apr 7, 2004.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

If time isn't an issue, what does a better or more effective job for spring cleanup? When I use the word "spring cleanup" I mean picking up some old leaves and thatch.

I would think a rake would be better for it would sort of aerate the soil and fluff up the grass.

I am a homeowner so again time isn't an issue. I don't own a back pack blower but I am looking into purchasing one. I raked my lawn which is almost an acre and it was some job. I watched the guy that my neighbor's hired and he was just using a back pack blower.

Again, I am just talking about one person doing this type of job. I do believe that two people (one rake/one blow) can do a much more thorough job, but I do most of the yardwork at my house. Wife deals with kids and inside jobs.
  2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

If time isn't an issue, then use a rake. As for a BP blower, get one that's suited to fall cleanup. You've got 1 acre? Don't even think of a handheld type. Waste of time.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The Redmax 7000/7001 is better than a rake. The rake will never get everything it loosens up. Furthermore, the blower "will" get everything, if you give it a second or two.
    I've tried them side by and every time the big blower is better and much faster.
    Also, you can use the blower for an hour and still have arms. With a rake yours arms are dead and you have blisters all over.
  4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Go through by hand and pick up large limbs and branches first
    Then Backpack blow beds
    Then Rake beds (if necessary)
    Then Backpack blow lawn
    Then Rake lawn (if necessary)
    Then De-thatch
    Then Aerate
    Then Fertilize
    Then Water
    Then MOW!
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Pull behind lawn sweeper.
    (you'd think I owned the company :) )
    I love mine.Does a great job and lifts the grass up if you want it to.Just lower the brushes.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it depends on the customer and the property of what type of method I use.

CHAINSAW13 LawnSite Member

RobH, get a good quality backpack and enjoy doing the lawn cleanup! My preference is Stihl but there are many good quality blowers available. Don't waste your time on a handheld or a push blower.
    Qualitylandscaping, I was reading down the list that you gave and I can't figrure out why you have the order that you do. Wouldn't it be better to do it this way.....
    Pick up branches and limbs.
    Then dethatch,
    Then blow out and rake beds,
    Then Blow and rake the lawn,
    and so on as you described.
    The way you do it, aren't you doing a little overkill on the work? Personally I can't see raking if you got a backpack. The only time I use my rakes for cleanup, is to rake the debris onto a tarp.
    I not complainig on your way of doing things, just curious.
  8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

A good BP blower will move anything you might wanna rake.... I use my BP to get the gravel out of the lawn from the snow-plow.... raking it used to take me an hour or more... blower does a good job in about 1/3 the time.
  9. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

well Dethaching is basically raking with a rake on the front of a lawn mower...if you are goin to do this for a greener cleaner lawn then rake or rent a power rake/dethatcher, if you have yur own lawn mower you can purchase a dethatcher for even a 21"(i have one) this is great because you can rake the lawn and suck up the thatch at the same time.....less wear an tear on yur body too..... the back pack will help get out some of teh thatch but nothing beats and actual rake or dethatcher device....Work smart not hard

10. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

blasphemy, i absolutely love my billygoat. i hope they bury it with me. by the way, handheld blowers aren't a waste. they are great for blowing small drives, etc.