spring cleanup surcharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we have had massive rains here the past two weeks. alot of my lawns still today can't even have a walkbehind on them cus they are so wet. but, you know the deal, they all want thier spring cleanup NOW. well, here's the deal....the cleanups are priced as being done by simply picking up sticks, etc, then blowing leaves onto the lawn , grinding them up with my meg mo's, then sucking up the dust. this is the fastest way, and results in no disposal. as it stands now, without the use of a mower, it is blow out the beds, rake, drag and hual. this is more labor intense, time consuming, and creates ALOT more disposal. i am telling them flat out, you want it NOW, before the ground dries enough to drive a mower on, it will cost 2-3 times more$$. any input?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Maybe you should have just priced them correctly the first time assuming worse case scenerio... let me guess, you will say you priced these cleanups at 300 bucks, and now want to try to charge them 3 times as much for 900 bucks? :dizzy:

If you would have priced it right the first time, you wouldn't be asking this.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If they ask, tell them you can't do their cleanup right now and that you will get to them as soon as you can. If they ask "why?" make a general statement like "The weather hasn't been cooperative." or "I'm not working in your neighborhood yet."

4. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Shouldnt the job for the most part be the same price no matter what youre doing?

If you use machinery it decreases time but also increases wear and tear on the machine
    If you do not use machinery it increases time yet no wear and tear.

I always thought either way the price is the same. No?

If I clipped bushes with a hand clipper rather than my hedge clippers would a person be happier paying 50 bucks and seeing me there longer...but I shouldnt get paid more because I was there longer. I could have used my hedge trimmers and been done in 10 minutes but spent an hour and a half use hand clippers. Same job=same price

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good point and I agree completely. In addition to your point I think as the owner of the company Bobby has the choice of when he will do the cleanup, now, or later his most efficient procedures. For example if your hedge trimmers were being repaired, you would have the choice of doing it by hand for the same price or waiting until the trimmers were repaired.

6. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Same situation in Syracuse guys. Snow just melted and now everyone wants everything done at once. It will deff. be a busy season and spring cleanups will be going full blast for a few weeks along with muclhing and parking lot cleanups. I agree the best way is to wate till it is dry so you can use your machines out on the lawns. Best of luck to all you northeasters as are season finaly takes off, im sure there will be some long days ahead for many of us.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, it's not the same, not even close. doing it the way i am supposed to do it, i can do the job in maybe an hour, with no disposal. doing it by plan b, it would take perhaps 1.5- 2 hrs on site, then i would need to go to the dump right away (another hour round trip plus thier fee of $35). it's not even close in comparison. remsen is right on, i need to do it my way, not thiers. jodi, jodi, JODI, are you STILL doing free cleanups? or is that only in the fall?

8. vharrison2

vharrison2 LawnSite Member

Dude time is money work smarter not harder and longer

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just charge accordingly robert...you have only a small window of opportunity to do them before mowing begins soon.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Dump? The dump you use "opens" up at 5am, and there is no fee....... try again.......
    Maybe Gedd you just need better estimating skills. When Matt looks at a job, he always prices it as if it is going to take him longer that it actually will. That way, if any problem arises, and the job becomes more difficult than he anticipated, he has it covered. Maybe someday you'll quit blaming the weather on your poor estimating.....