Spring cleanup tools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G&Plawn, Apr 7, 2004.

1. G&Plawn

G&Plawn LawnSite Member

Hi guys and gals this is my first full year of services. I ve been searching for good tools for the spring clean up aspect of the job and have been haveing troubles with the research. I was wondering what some of you have found to best do small yards with a bit of road sand on the boulavards and leaf and thatch cleanup. I ve been doing the work by hand. I enjoy the finished product of the hand raking but the work is killer on my back i also would like to increase my productivity time. It seems to be a big waste to be ate a yard for three hours raking when i know that i can mow and stringline the yard in less then an hour with a 2 in mower. I f anyone has any suggestions on wht types of machines i should be looking for that will help speed things up that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for all the info in advanced.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hard to say without looking at the yard, but in general a mower with a good vaccuum and bag system shuold be good. for thatch and wet leaves maybe a dethatcher then mower with bag??? raking is usually the best.
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Backpack blower will be a big help.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're in the market for a new trimmer, I'd look at getting one with a split boom. I run an Echo, and I can switch from the trimmer head to a power broom head. Works great for the boulevards with the sand, just get there early in the year before the city or whoever sweeps the streets, push the sand right back into the street.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

After winter snows have plastered the leaves and dead grasses to the ground you will need something to break them loose so that new grasses will easily sprout.

Small areas - ECHO ProSweep
    Large areas - JRCO Tine Rake attached to mower with a collection system.

We all started with a hand rake as your business income allows go for the power stuff it will make you more money in the long haul.

6. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I just talked about this on another thread. I just spent an hour in my yard with my new Stihl SR420. Stones and clumps of mud and road sand were no problem. I was thinking of getting a powersweeper but the backpack took care of everything. Plus it lifted the grass up and blew away some of the dead grass and looked as good as if I had spent about 3 hours raking. Plus, it can spread grass seed, fertilizer and liquids. Haven't used it for that yet, tho.
  7. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I'm in my first year of lawn maintnance. I've been looking for a faster way to clean yards. I work solo. I have a lawn vac but it is a "home-owner/Home "Cheapo unit. Sofar I've been using a blower and rake to clean yards. Seems to be the best way.
  8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I don't think I would go as far as spreading fertilizer with a backpack blower.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Shindy EB650 commercial backpack blower. $500.00
    Walker GHS 42" deck w 26EFI $10,000
    Walker Spring Tine Dethatcher Rake $200.00
    Sales and Income Tax
    Sorry I got off the point. I have the best luck with this combination. I do not even put a hand rake on my trailer. It isn't the cheapest way to do the cleans, you are doing it that way now. It is one of the fastest. I started out with a lawn tractor and a pull behind dethatcher. It did a nice job but it was slow because I had to stop and pick it up over walks and drives. I also had to put it on and take off when trailering. The Walkers system snaps on in literally 5 seconds and you can lift it easily without stopping.
    It wasn't until I reralized that I needed commercial equipment that I started making money. Yes you have to put some bucks out but then you have incentive to make that money back. Good Luck
  10. The Lawn Leprechaun

The Lawn Leprechaun LawnSite Member

Put a thatcher on your push mower with a bagger. Then go over the lawn twice, once one way and again a different way. You'll get more thatch out of the lawn than by raking by hand and it will look way better(like a ball diamond) with the stripes it leaves.