1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spring Cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 9, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen many mentions of a spring cleanup. I'm not exactly sure what is meant by that. Is is just bed edging, mulching, tree pruning, shrub trimming, and leaf removal? Is there something special that I am missing?
  2. superpack84

superpack84 LawnSite Member

I think it's growth from the winter that needs to be clean out?

I know here in socal when we get wild grass from with winter, it needs to be cut around homes due to the fire danger in mid or late spring.
  3. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I call spring clean up is just giving the lawn a good clean up befor lawn cutting begins.cleaning up leaves that wasn't done in the fall, cleaning out flower beds, around the house, picking up stix's and any thing that needs to be done so its ready and a lawn cut and trim.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Spring cleanup are only needed by people who are trying to go cheap.....most people are on contract and the yard get worked every month so there is no need for spring cleanup. And the cheap people probably don't want to pay much for a cleanup.
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I bought a power broom to handle gravel and sand left over by melting snow banks.

Basically I do power raking and power brooming as part of the same service. Rake it up and bag it. For me a complete yard clean up is also raking and blowing out the beds and window wells also. I won't cut/scalp the yard for them though unless they want to pay for and become a customer.

The most important thing I learned about spring clean up last year (my first year) was to be prepared. I had TOO much work, I was losing work I couldn't get it all done even with 2/3 people helping and then... two-three weeks later, there was no work at all lol.
  6. This is what Spring clean-Up is.

Not in the North!!!
  7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Spring clean up includes first cut, power raking, some people even want aerating, clean all debris off lawn with a pull behind brush sweeper. Cleans lawn like a vacuum cleans a carpet.

Some folks will ask for pruning on certain types of trees.
    One of the most profitable parts of lawncare is spring/fall cleanup.

Don't underestimate how much you can make :weightlifter:
  8. Do you charge for that 1st cutting? or is it in the price of Spring Clean-Up.
    Ditto that 1 of the most profitable parts of lawncare is Spring/Fall clean-up.
  9. hess

hess LawnSite Member

EDHESS 2
    I guss $ 85.00 to $100.00 is for cheap people for spring clean up. Well I guss this right so here is a new add for ya

Wanted: Cheap people for spring clean up
    I like cheap people that don't pay much

I thought i liked my last name
  10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

By power raking do you mean de-thatching?

What type of power broom do you use? A Shindaiwa?