1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spring CleanUp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mow-Co Man, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Mow-Co Man

Mow-Co Man LawnSite Member
    from IL

New to the business, taking over some accounts this spring. Just a general question. What services do most of you include in a "spring cleanup"?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Too early to start where are you located?
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

No joke, I saw Brickman doing a clean-up today at a mall near me. A bit early I would say.
    We usually start by passing the walk behind with JRCO rake over the lawn. As one man does that, the others pick up fallen branches and twigs, and get started blowing out the beds. They use the mower with the catcher to pick up that debris, and when the lawn is clean, give it a final cut. Then they will cultivate and spade edge the beds.
    There are other odds and ends that we do for certain clients, like pruning roses or cutting back buddleia. Depending on the timing we will do the Pre-M or fertilizer application. If it is a new client, we also will do a pelletized lime application. The majority of the properties I service are 1 acre.
  4. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

All necc'y pruning, Leaf/Debris removal, tree/shrub fertilizing, planting bed pre-emergent, bed edging, mulching.
  5. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

All above but I use the JRCO on the ZTR and bag at the same time. Also have a power sweeper mounted on a John Deere F725 that I modified to angle left + right + up and down hydraulically. Sweeping to loosen debris and then blowing with the big blower works too. Or windrow with the sweeper if the lawn is flat enough, just like plowing snow. Other areas I just use the big blower and my backpack at the same time to blow everything off.

I hate sticks.
  6. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Our spring clean up is just that. Rake up leaves left over from last year, pick up all the limbs that have fallen down over the winter. We'll do this next month, long before we start fertilizing or pruning.
  7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I gotten call all ready to do clean ups and mulch I really don't like doing them till the last snow is done. Its nice to get done all my jobs before the lawns start needing to be cut.