Spring Cleanup

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Construct'O, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Since the big Dec. icestorm,the weather hasn't been fit for cleanup of tree limbs.So been cleaning up limbs and brush on the farm.

One of my trainees checking the machine over before the cleanup got on way.It was still muddy ,but i needed some on the job training for my young helpers.

Better on my time then the customers.They are coming along good for never getting to run equipment much.:usflag:

Tree Cleanup 004.jpg

Tree Cleanup 001.jpg

Tree Cleanup 002.jpg

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Do you use a grapple to pick up those limbs?

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How are you supposed to bail brush with a excavator that has no thumb :laugh:

Looks cold there still :drinkup:

4. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Yellowdog rake never had a grapple on it (price was right)and i have looked at getting the bar mounted twin grapple setup to put on the brush rake,and also be able to use it also on a bucket if it wanted to.That way i could use the grapple on more then one attachment.

Mostly here just rake the brush in a pile then they burn it later.Still can burn here.Plus farmers just say pile it over there out of the way and i'll burn it later or let rot.Here trees rot quickly,plus have lots of ditches that they can't farm to pile them along on the banks.

GR yeah!!!!!!!! i knew that was coming ,she was a cheapy so it didn't come with one.We was just using it to rake the brush in too small piles and let the rakeman push them into piles a ways a way.

Thats the benefit of having the two machine working togather,at the same time.Plus my helpers need to learn to work togather as a team!!!!!!!!

Mostly got it to dig dirt with,so can get along with out thumb for now,but if i was getting a new one it would have all the extra attachments you could buy on it ,guaranteed:rolleyes::usflag:

5. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

You have some good looking equipment there Construct'O. I think you mentioned before that you had a mini but I did not realize it was a Cat. What size, year and how do you like it? Looks like a 303CR?? Any pics of the dozers? I have seen some you had before. What can I say? I love dozers.

6. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

What other equipment do you have? Thats a sweet set-up.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Good combo, the mini pushes a heap of a pile onto the rake on the skid and hauls it away, no thumb or grapple needed.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

With the branches all spread all over it probably would take a long time to bail it with the mini even if it had a thumb. The Deere would be quicker get it into a pile and have a weenie roast those branches will burn good :laugh:

When your used to bailing brush with a excavator that has a thumb its hard to imagine doing without.

The most frustrating is a excavator with a mechanical thumb but its better than nothing.

9. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Your job looks like you could use a chipper. That would leave a nice coating of chips behind and that you could pull behind your ranger. Nice setup you have.

10. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Fieldman
    If you get a small mini sometime,and living around farmers you could keep it busy just doing the tile repair jobs because the big guys that run trenchers don't like to take time to do tile repair jobs.

You are correct on it being a 303 CR,it is 05,had around 900 hrs when i got it.It is handy for what i use it for ,i actually wanted the next size bigger in a Deere 50D,but didn't feel like i could afford it.

It is handy,never realized how much i would use it until i got it.The size hasn't been a big issue for what i have actually needed it or used it for.I usually use it along with the trencher and CTL for tile line install,connections, and tile repair.Also have cleaned out a few little ditches for tile outlets to drain better.

It was a good buy and is really paying it's way,it is easy to move and because of the niche for tile repair and no one wanting to do it i can get a good price for the machine if is running or setting while the repairs are being made.

Will post some other pictures later,and another post sometime with the dozers.Here is some of the field drainage tile(big black rolls) we install with the trencher.The 4" tile rolls has 3200 feet x5 rolls = a lot of work :usflag:

Deere 332+Tile Max 003.jpg

Deere 332+Tile Max 004.jpg