Spring Cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TCZellars, Apr 1, 2008.

1. TCZellars

TCZellars LawnSite Member

Quick Question.....how do you guys charge for spring cleanup and what do you include in the cleanup itself

2. sky_lawncare

sky_lawncare LawnSite Member

I'm new here, but I've been thinking about the whole business model.

In reference to spring cleanup, I think I would do a promo offering free spring cleaning with a seasonal/annual contract signed. Of course you would want to limit the amount of time to say, 30 mins of cleanup, and charge them after that, so that you don't get stuck doing a huge job for free.

To me, getting the contract and guaranteed income would be worth sacrificing a little time up front if it meant beating out your competitors that would charge for doing the same.

I think it would be an excellent loss leader, a great way to get a step up on the competition and make a great impression on the customer right off the bat!

What is a loss leader?

A business strategy in which a business offers a product or service at a price that is not profitable for the sake of offering another product/service at a greater profit or to attract new customers. This is a common practice when a business first enters a market; a loss leader introduces new customers to a service or product in the hope of building a customer base and securing future recurring revenue.

Work smarter not harder right?

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

every customer is different. to me, spring cleanup is simply sticks and leaves. i certainly try to sell them on more if possible, such as mulch, bed edging, trim hedges, touch up on neglected areas, whatever. discuss it with your customers and see how far they want to take it. give them a price for each. if you using a tarp, rake and lopping shears, hourly price is the way to go. once you've invest all your $$$ in equiptment, charge by the job and you'll make more per hour.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I use my hourly rate, and for the most part it's usually just leaves, sticks, and debris. Like supercuts said I try to up sell people, but for the most part its just leaves and sticks.

5. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I say leaves, sticks, thatching and what ever else the customer wants done (if your services will do it). Then charge by hour.

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

My spring cleanups consist of cleaning out the beds, remulching at customers request, trimming back all ornamental grasses, cutting the turf down to 2-2.5 inches,and bagging it all up.

I charge by the job with a $75 minimum for spring cleanups. I charge less for Spring then I do Fall cleanups.

7. sky_lawncare

sky_lawncare LawnSite Member

Going back to what I said, if you offered a loss leader special and gave them 30 mins of free cleanup in exchange for a signed contract, you wouldn't do it?

If you charge 75.00 and joe lawn-boy does it for 50.00, now joe has their business for the rest of the season. That 25.00, or 75.00 for that matter you wanted to charge them at the beginning of the season could end up costing you thousands in lost revenue. I would do anything and everything, even at a small loss if it meant a signed contract and committed customer.

Spring cleanup marks the start of the season, use it wisely to attract customers.

And thats not a low-baller mentality, thats a smart business strategy mentality.

8. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

40 an hour, usually takes 2 to 3 hours. beds, Leaves, sticks, mow, gravel ect... Usually on the blower for 1.5 hours blowing everything to the middle then mow and mulch till nothing left. Gutters are extra

Picture 701.jpg

9. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Your the kind of landscaper I'd love to put outa business...loss leaders are good for retail not your time and service! You want to do free work to get a signature think twice makes you look desperate and un business like..... Just my thoughts :cool2: ohhhhhh yeahhhhh

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, I wouldn't, absolutely categorically not.

Then again I don't have contracts.

I like your attitude, a good businessman's mind is as shrewd as it is strong.
    But just between you and I, loss leaders blow for everybody, except the customer.

What is a loss leader?
    Why, it is a thing that LEADS you to LOSS :laugh:
    It does this very well, it is good at it.