Spring cleanups consist of...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnBoy89, Feb 11, 2006.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do for spring cleanups? I started in this business in the middle of last summer so I really never experienced spring before. I was just thinking pick up the twigs and take out the w/b edger for the sidewalk...what else do you guys do and how do you charge? When do you usually gross more...in the spring or in the fall? Thanks...you guys are always a help.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As a rule, I plan on spending a little more time in each yard to clean up what has come down since the last leaf cleanup. In most cases all of my regular customers fall under this category, the first cut or two in spring are a bit royal but it's smooth sailing after that.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

spring clean-up are:
    - blow out beds
    - sticks and twigs
    - run over the entire lawn with bagger to get random leaves and debris
    - edge sidewalk and driveways

I usually estimate 2 hours @ my hourly rate plus dump fees....I am a solo operation..

Derek

4. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

These are basic:

Spring Cleanup
    Rake and clean-up all landscaped areas, pull existing weeds, edge all walkways and turf borders and prune winter damage from shrubs. Remove all resulting debris from site including any small limbs.

Fall Cleanup
    Rake and clean-up all landscape areas, cut back perennials, pull existing weeds and dead annuals. Remove all resulting debris from site. Shrub pruning may also be included with prior arrangements.

5. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

All lawn edges get trimmed with line trimmer. Any weeds in beds get cut to the ground. Any perennials not cut from previous year and all ornamental grasses get cut back. All beds and lawn areas get leaves, branches, debris blown out and removed. For most customers, the beds get barked. First, granular weed preventer is spread in every bed. All ornamental shrubs get fertilized with granular fertilizer. Then, double-shredded dark bark is spread thin in all beds.

6. RedMaxrules

RedMaxrules LawnSite Member

I've done spring cleanups for the past three years in the Rhode Island area and this is what I do for customers...
    Blow their yard just as was done in the fall getting everything out of the lawn and beds. Re-edge all beds with a stick edger. Weed and mulch beds if customer wants mulch at the time. That's about it. If the customer has shrubs, another appt. is made at another time to get them trimmed, unless they are getting mulch on the same day, then they are trimmed at the time of the cleanup.