1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

spring cleanups. customers only????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do you guys offer spring cleanups as a service to anybody who asks, or only to mowing customers? spring cleanups stink, everything is wet, matted down, scattered all over the place, needs to be hand raked, and usually alot of hauling is involved. i have, in the past, had people call my add just for spring cleanup, nothing else. well, i aint doin it anymore. scu from now on is only for regular customers. how bout you?
  2. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I'll take them early, before my regular seasonal work picks up, which is normally mid March. After that they have to sign up for regular service to get the clean up.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer cleanups to anyone and everyone who wants them. This is one of my bigges times of the year other then fall when we are doing aerating/split seeding etc... I however, will not do a spring cleanup unless it is above $300 but most of them are around $500- $800. I hire part time help during this time to get it all done.
  4. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Wow how long does a $800 one take I have raise it up a notch I think. And I'm with you Bobby one misery of them
    olderthandirt likes this.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm w/ you Bobby. Reserve this service for regulars only and one's signing on for full service now. Theres already enough work to do w/ mulching, landscaping, fertilizing & liming. BTW, this year, I think I'm investing in 2 JRCO rakes (36 & 48 machines) Roddy swears by 'em. He stopped by today for a tour of my shop & treated me 2 lunch. Wish you would have accompanied him.
  6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with ya too bobby. Only do it for regular customers, or ones that will sign with me for the year. Your absolutely right about it bein a big pain in the a$$.....I dont have the time to clean up the one timers. I will make the time for the customers that want to sign for the year though.
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

If its a one time thing you will pay top dollar 35.0 is my hr one time anything 75.0hr ..
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It might not take as long as you think.... when I say $800 I am refering to everything we do, pinestraw, mulch, etc... One of the big reasons I choose to do spring cleanups for everyone and not just current customers is becuase I have actually gotten several full time customers from starting out with a spring cleanup. Also, I don't find it hard to get cheap labor (a lot of high school friends and college friends I have), I can take 3 or 4 guys with me to a yard and have them do the cleanup.
  9. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Fair enough ECM
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea turfdude, i would have came, but rod is so rude, he never invited me. and this one time, we were supposed to go out to dinner to this portuguese place, and he stood me up. unless, maybe he got that alzhiemers from being too old