Spring cleanups getting me some shady customers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 2, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

This old lady who doesn't work and is at home all day calls me up and ask me to give an aeration/power rake estimate. She seemed really strange at the door and 3 days later she calls me and says to go ahead and do the job, to leave the bill in the mailbox, and that she would mail me a check. For weekly mowing customers I would do this but I don't know this lady for $hit, so I said why not just pay me when I'm done at the door. She says no, just do the job and she can mail a check. Since there is no good reason not to pay me when I'm there I'm think I'm going to pass on this one. Some people just seem to strange for me.
  2. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

yeah especially for a first timer I would like to get paid at completion. Seems shadey.
  3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell her to call me when she is able to pay on the spot.......I wouldn't trust it......sounds like some B.S. to me....be careful and good luck!!!!

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Can You Come To My House And Do Some Work For Me 2 , The Check Is In The Mail Lmao.........
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

ask for a post dated check so when you are done your paid?
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Might not be anyhting hokey to this at all. Some of my older customers can't write due to arthritis or something and a caretaker write them. A couple of my customers have a bank that takes care of their bills. They send the bills to them and the bank sends you a check. usually this is with elderly or ones who have lots of money. Years ago when I first started out, I worked for a guy who couldn't write due to health problems. He would call me in when i finished and hand me his check book and tells me to write myself a check. Then he would then scrible his signature on it. My father will not write a check, my mother has to do it, he has always been that way. Do the work and do as she asks, get her to sign a contract first if you feel she may stiff you. My .02
  7. WHIPPLE5.7

I also get these people that are home when I show up and then when I'm in their back yard they drive away without me knowing. I end up having to finish my other jobs for the day and backtrack to get paid. I end up with alot of extra driving just because people do this to me. Its happened to quite a few other LCOs here as well. Like I said not a big deal for full service customers because I bill them monthly anyway. My friend has had a lawn biz since 1990 and he is regarded as about the best in town. Today he told me that some lady came rushing out of her house and yanked the rake out of his hand and said watch me because you don't know what your doing. He has been doing this for almost 20 years and has 150 happy clients. These onetimer customers are getting more troublesome by the day.
  8. WHIPPLE5.7

Not the case here. She is around 60 or 61 and gets around just fine. Even if that was the case I'm still 5 days out from being able to get there anyway so these arrangements should have been made in the previous days if that was the case. The bottom line is I don't work for free and if I'm getting a bad feeling I'll turn around and go. I might not get every job but atleast I make sure I'm picking customers who pay.
  9. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I would explain in a professional manner as to why you request payment on the day of service for new customers. Also explain that if she became a regular customer the situation would be different and you would gladly bill her for subsequent service's. If she still does not agree, then your gut is probably correct and respectfully pass on the work.
  10. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a bad feeling, then walk away. In the end you are the one who gets hurt if she doesn't pay not all the other people who are coming up with reasons why she can't pay you right away.