Spring cutting thick clove AOS DIESEL

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by nosparkplugs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The diesel now has 35 hours on her zero trouble to date. This is a 128 unit or house complex. We just took over the lawn maintenace so the spring growth was thick. The deck height was set between 1 1/2" to 2" depending on objects in the ground or the topographics of the complex. The pics are one pass, the clove was so thick it did require some double cutting in some places

Again I cannot stress to those wondering why so much power??? that you can never have enough power, the Cat diesel did lug down in the thickest of clove, I was mulching it, or I would slightly open the ACS. also I have no mulch kit. when I would open the ACS chute the diesel had enough torque to hit the sideing with grass clippings. I am using the Gator Fusions they seem to work the best vs the Gator mulchers, so I might hold off on the X blade set-up for now, I was working on. The diesel is still sipping fuel even when lugging. I filled it up today and my calculation are still at .66gal/hr. I can almost bet that even in the thickest of grass the fuel economy will not change much. The Cat diesel runs cool about 195 until you get in the very thick grass then it will go up to 200, and stay there all day. Over the last ten years of running ZTR's this AOS diesel is buy far the best diesel or ZTR for that matter on the market. The productivity, and cost savings BB has is simply amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I want one of those bad boyz, they bad azz. Especially with the cat.

3. lgyardservices

lgyardservices LawnSite Senior Member

why are you trying to cut it so short if it's that overgrown?

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Most people I know cut really low on the first cut of the season.

5. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

do the ag style tires help against tearing turf? i really have to watch my bb lightning on that cause the hydros are pretty touchy.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Up here we would never cut it so low. What was the starting height of the grass? In the pic it looks like 3 to 4 in the high spots. Reason I ask is the discharge seems clumpy (third pic) and grass build up/clump on the tires (2 pic).

7. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

probably cut early in the morning, grass might be wet, that might be why you see all that build up.

8. lawncare010

lawncare010 LawnSite Member

having a little trouble going in a stright line were u drinking

9. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like it did a good job. My turf tiger just swirls that stuff around and doesn't cut it for some reason. I like the bad boys alot but listen at this.

I was talking to a dealer in monroeville last week about the bad boy mowers and he said at this time he has stopped selling bad boy because the new ones are going to be loads better. He said that they are changing the gas tank locations lowering the seat around 7 inches and on the cat models are trying to change the motor location and some belts and pulleys. He said the diesels never bog down BUT instead the belts can't keep up so they just burn them up. He said the new models should be out in a few months. He said no set date. But that would be awesome. Then again i don't know how reliable the dealer is with his information but he seemed to know quite a bit about everything. Including this he doesn't sell.

10. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thats a bad azz mower!!!!! i really like the looks of them!