Spring/Fall clean-up charging question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmudder77, Feb 21, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

how do you charge people to do spring clean up is it by the hour or by the job?
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

charge your customer a per job price, figure out that price by the hour, ....per man hour.....plus equipment fee
  3. Oyster Point

Oyster Point LawnSite Member

Price all your work by the job, EXCEPT cleanups. Sometimes you really don't know how many leaves your into until your actually doing the job. Whatever your hourly rate is, per person. We're at around $48 an hour. Includes everything.
  4. bigmudder77

So if its like a wooded area with the ground covered in leaves how would you charge? and what would you charge? i was thinking about $40-$50 an hour then giving them a bill when i was done. does that sound about right or what
  5. bigmudder77

its also about a acre id say
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

This is where experience kicks in. Lawns a mess and they want a full cleanup. Your going to bust your A$$ doing it so charge them for a full day.
    Labor rate X number of guys X how many hours you work in a day. If it is a big lot.

Experience will tell you how long it will really take. What size yard is it? Bid high to cover yourself.
  7. bigmudder77

I was just wanting to know what people are charging for that type of work

Ya its gonna take a while i know that i have done it before but i did it for my self (never pays to have to do your own lawn)
  8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If you share what equipment your going to use to do the cleanup it would help. If your trying to use a hand held blower instead of a back pack that will effect your time greatly. Make a list of what your using and I'll give you a ball park hourly rate that I would do it for. Is it an all wooded lot or just the back yard. If you have to haul the front to the back woods that will hurt your time. Tell us as much as you can. The more the better. And dont worry if it seem to go on forever.
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I used to tell customer $60/hr, and it didn't work for me.

Here is what I do now, and it almost always works for me. I look long and hard at the job, and make a good guess at how long it will take. Let's say I think it will take 4 hrs. I multiply $60/hr X 4 hrs, and come to $240. Based on that, I then give the customer an estimate in a range...in this case I'd say "It will cost between $225 and $325, depending on how tough the job is". I put it in writing if they want. BTW, my minimum is $200 on a clean-up.

If it actually takes 4 hrs (or less), I'd charge them $240 (or less), and they will be really happy, thinking that I took care of them. If I blow it, and it takes 5 hrs, I charge them $300, and they are less happy, but satisfied. If it takes longer than 5 hrs, I suck it up, charge them $325, and learn from the experience.

I base my rate on one man (me), a walk-behind blower, a backpack blower, and a 52" ZTR with vac system. And rakes and tarps!
  10. irishgoldcleanups

irishgoldcleanups LawnSite Member

I GET $600 PER 1/4 ACRE