Spring fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawrence stone, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Lesco 5-10-31 with 10% Iron at 1/2 lb N per 1k sq ft actually
    2.5-5-15.5 with 5% iron.

One 50 lb bag covers 30k sq ft.

Used for very little top growth in order to do a 10 day mowing cycle.

What does the peanut gallery have to say?
  2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Sounds like what I use, only we have an abundance of potash here and use a lower number there. I like the fact you use a low nitrogen to keep the fast growth to a minimum. The addition of the 10% (5% equivalent) iron should give a fast green up.
  3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Hey Stone,
    Just curious as to what the the iron source is? That is a nice load, would like to have that high number in mine. It seems that anytime I get a load that high in a non-natural organic the iron source will spot the pavement no matter how careful we are about blowing the sidewalks. Thanks for your reply, Mike
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

You would need six 50 lb. bags of 5-10-31 to cover 30k sq. ft. at the rate of .5 lb. N per 1k. At your rate of application ( 50lbs. covers 30k ) the only thing you are applying at the rate of .5lbs. per 1k is potash.:) ;) :) ED
  5. You are correct the N rate will not be 1/2 lb/1k sq ft. What I am trying to do is keep the top growth at a minimum for ease in mowing maintenance.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Are you billing on a monthly cycle or per mow. The 10 day cycle is good if you have a contract for monthly rates but if not why a 10 day cycle.
    I agree that the top growth is a pain during spring but it is a money maker if you are in the biz of mowing. I also am trying to control top growth but it is a balancing act as I have some customers that want me there on a 4 to 5 day cycle.
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Dont you have an answer for me? I am curious as to what your Fe source is.
    Thanks Mike
  8. Sorry I can't help but maybe the Lesco salesman will answer the question since it is his product.

Even at 30k a bag it gives 5% iron. I might even be able to stretch a bag out to 45K or 1.6-3.3-10.3 with 3.3% iron. That still enough P&K&Fe to produce a nice product especially if a 1/2 lb of 50% slow release N was applied in late autumn.
  9. Monthly contracts with a either 22 visit per year mowing maintenance or a weekly with 33 visits/year for the anal retentive types with irrigation.

Both cycles are treated the same for fert, pest, aeration, and de-thatching.