Spring Grading

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Deere John, Jun 2, 2000.

1. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all: I just spent the last two nights doing my annual spring touch-ups to the gravel driveways. I include a grading with the backhoe in the snow plowing contract. It serves my customers well as they need it at least once a year, and it serves me by securing the contract and I also get the opportunity to get extra work while I'm there. My best was a grading a 600 foot driveway that turned into a two day effort to make parking spots, a ramp to the house and widen the driveway. That work also solved the problem of the driveway narrowing as the winter wore on, and gave me a place to easily stack snow and turn around. I got paid to dig out the stumps that have tripped the plow for years. <p>Does anyone else do innovative in-season or out-of-season services to secure an account??<p>----------<br>John<br>

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Just a note John, with the urethane plow edges you wont have to grade the gravel in the spring, or do touch up on lawn work. the gravel will stay where it belongs, in the driveway and not on the lawn.<br>Of course since you are making money at this spring grading it might be a bad thing, I dont know.<br>But if it is included, then think of all the money you save by not having to send men and trucks out.<br>Drop me a note if you have any ??<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Dino - congrats on your new daughter! My wife argues, and I agree, that women are great to foster into mechanical and co-ordination intense jobs. She plowed for several winters before meeting me and did a good little business. Our family isn't yet, but we're looking forward to several small logger types soon.<p>I grade driveways at the end of the season to fill the potholes created by their driving style (corners, spin marks at the mailboxes, etc.). We usually have frost in the ground up here prior to our first snow, but we do turn up the odd sod rat. I am interested in urethane edges - in fact, I am on my way in 1 hour to a road maintenance trade show and that product is on my list of stops. <p>How is your 6.5 treating you? I have the L56 with EGR, and I have been searching the DP for a solution to my hickup (bucking) problem at light throttle. I think I have traced it to bad or sticking solinoids that control the EGR. It is times like this I wish I had the L65 engine without the EGR system. Other than that minor annoyance, 100%. BTW, do you get a hint or a significant diesel exhaust smell when backing up (alot) while plowing?<br>Regards,<p>----------<br>John<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Deere John

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Hi John,<br>My oldest daughter loves to plow with me, however after about an hour daddy needs a break from all the ? She is almost 5 now, and she usually only rides with me after I have been out for 15-20hrs so I am a liitle worn as it were.<br>I havent had any issues with my engine at all, and I havent noticed unusual diesel fumes when plowing.<br>I have noticed that a new air filter removed alot of diesel smell I was getting.<br>I also notice about 2-3x the plowing time compared to my 350 gas in my last cab chassis. <br>Let me know what you find out about those edges, or e mail me and I can send you some of our literature.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

you sent me info on the urethane edges a few months back, I cant find the file (or where I may have stashed it on my hard drive!) could you please resend? Thanx<p>Bill