Spring growth is insane this year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Apr 22, 2005.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We are in the middle of our 2nd and 3rd cuts this season. The growth on the yards is unreal. We got 1" of rain last week and 3.5" from yesterday morning til this afternoon. After only 3 days the lawns already have 3" of growth. By a week they have 5-6" of growth. Man, I hate springtime. The average 30 minute yard takes 50 minutes. Rain messing up the schedule. Employee's not being able to show up. On the upside, only 5 weeks of these crazy conditions left. Usually in our zone, the growth and rain let up after the second week of june. Is the spring growth challenging you guys also.

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely, I'm having to double cut most of my yards just to make them look respectable. Like you said I'm cutting off almost 5" of grass on a weekly basis.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

No more then any other year. It's expected this time of year.

4. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Send some of that RAIN and some HEAT down here to Texas :waving:

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just the opposite here in the NE...no rain and no double cutting to say the least.

6. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

The grass is growing out of control here(Nebraska), lots of rain lately, very difficult to bag.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I fought thoose conditions for the last 2 years, we had unbelevable rain the entire cutting season, this year is about normal to even a little dry here

8. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

I'm glad to hear you guys say what i'm experiencing. I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with my mower (Exmark 60" ZTR, Mulching Kit). I've had to double cut areas on most of my accounts lawns so far this year. It is thick and juicy out there.