spring letters vs. calling them

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troblandscape, Mar 9, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I usually sent out spring letters, with a reminder of the service I offer and for them to check off any services they would like an estimate on, But I am thinking for this year just to call them and sell over the phone, What do you think

Thanks.............

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've sent letters.

A) you can include more info than in a call, where people's minds start to wander if you hit them with too much at once. Also, Studies have shown that written information is seen as more authoritative by people than the spoken word.

B) Some people will say "yes" (to a price increase or other change) in person and on the spot if you surprise them with a call, but will change their minds later, want to make changes, or wind up canceling or shopping for a better deal. I always hated thinking I had an agreement then finding out later I had to replace them on the schedule.

I love mowing in the Spring, but hate the part where I try to show customers they're getting a better deal than the alchoholic part timer who's promising to do it for less. One old lady just called up to complain about a $1 (ONE DOLLAR) price increase on a lawn that I mow just 15 times a year. (every two weeks because she's so cheap and doesn't want it mowed in the Spring till it's already tall). She's had the same price for 8 years now and complains. This business has confirmed why I dont' like "people person" jobs. Way too many idiots and losers out there.

3. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

bruce, you need to drop her. Why is she still on route?

4. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

We send a 'Thank You' card: " Simply wanted to thank you for your business and support last season. As well as remind you of the obvious: this season is quickly upon us, and that your service will resume on XXXXX, we look forward to taking care of your property again this season and offering you the level of service you have come to expect. If you have any specific service requests,(aerate, dethat.....) please do not hesitate to call."

This makes it easy for them just to run on autopilot and have things done for them. I hardly ever check verbally with a customer, unless I expect a problem.

We send loyal customers a calender or magnet etc.

5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I send a christmas card out every year then in the spring I send something too. I think on the phone is not a good idea cause if you mail it they can get to it on their scedule without pushing them into something they don't want but thats my 2 cents

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh, consider her canceled. I called her back to explain that her price increase was minimal and that I was already doing her a favor by mowing under my usual minimum number of cuts. She said she had someone there and would call back. She hasn't. So she can go blow. She ain't getting a cheaper cut, that's all I know. She'd have to have an attitude adjustment for me to return, and that ain't gonna happen.

I just do the gated back yard. Her front yard is mowed by the association guy, and they absolutely butcher it. Clippings in the beds, NO bed edging, grass has creeped a foot into the beds, minimal edging of hard surfaces and they don't even string trim! It's terrible. Her choice is to have them add the back yard too, and she's already fired them once and hired me years ago. You get what you pay for.

7. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

I send my customers a letter with the basic "spring is just around the corner " news . In the letter I tell them I will be calling them to schedule the services they would like for the upcoming season. The letter breaks the ice and the call is more personal. They may have questions I can only answer with a phone call plus the call tells them " He took the time to call me" . I'm big on personalized service.

8. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I don't think I could ever get ahold of 130 customers ever by phone because people work alot and everything.