Spring or Air

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, May 28, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

All big trucks I've driven have been spring suspension. I'm running across a few air ride suspensions in my search for a truck but know nothing about them or how well they hold up.....particularily to the use/industry.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For what you are doing spring is cheaper and better a single axle on bags isn't that great. Maybe if you were running a van or a flatdeck bags on a single would be okay.

Stick with simple and cheap.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

My kodiak 7500 has air bags I love it! The major benefit is that when you hauling a load it'll even the truck out as opposed to having a light front end. Ive got 50k miles so far no problems to report. Rides a lot better unloaded too.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Air ride is the best, I love it

5. Gravel Rat

For a rolloff truck air ride isn't any good because even dropping the air out of the bags you still don't have the stability. Plus once the bags are dumped you loose your dump angle the box hits the ground early.

Stick with spring its cheap and durable.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a single axle hooklift pete w/ air bags.. haven't had one problem and we are really tough on the truck...

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Plus any time you take an Air Bag suspension equipped truck off road, they just "blow", one wheel always gets hung up and you are constantly playing with the diff lockers. A single axle might be different, but I can't see it doing any better,

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never had mine off road... Its a trailer queen. I could see where that be an issue though. My L9000 has a solid suspension and it was made for off road. I'd think tthomas wouldn't be too hardcore off road with his trucks though that last one too pretty RIP

9. Gravel Rat

Tandem axle air rides are horrible offroad a single axle wouldn't be bad but I still wouldn't want to really take it into a tough site.

10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

We have a mack ch 613 with air bags that is tandem axles. It rides great.