Spring Overseeding in Ohio???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AkronLawnBoy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. AkronLawnBoy

AkronLawnBoy LawnSite Member

1st Post!!! I have a customer that wants to have a fuller greener lawn this year. Most of the lawn is in a shaded area (1/2 day sun). I was planning on aerating and overseeding (w/ slitseeder) their lawn. I was wandering if this is a good plan? Should I Fert. before? When should I start this process? Thanks in advance.

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Hummmmmmmmm, shouldn't you already know what you're doing. I mean it does say Stokes Lawn Service. How can you just start a business with out any knowledge of what your doing?

3. mow2nd

Just checked out ur profile and website.........I think I'm confused.....profile says 1 year, website says 10 years. Looks like you have some nice lookin yards, or are they................Yea, I'm a little confused

4. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

Gee take it easy. It's everybody's 1st time sometime. Were you an all-knowing pro of this trade at the beginning?

I can't speak for Akron Lawnboy, but the 10 years might be time he's "worked" in the biz and this might be his first year "running" his own biz. that's about where I'm at. Big difference when you actually start taking over the details of the operation.

Sorry Akron; can't help ya with your question but I doubt it would do any harm with your plan. If you don't have an applicator's lic. i'd suggest sub-contracting that out to trugreen or chemlawn or whoever you have in Akron to do the fert part.

5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I really wouldn't call a Mobile Home Park a "Trailer Park" on your website. I got a military buddy from Ohio. What's up with you guys lol

6. mow2nd

I worked for somebody before I started my own business, and learned a lot. So when I started my own business I didnt need to ask some stupid question about what to do for my customer. That's the problem with this business. More than 80% of you guys or more have no experience before going on your own.

7. AkronLawnBoy

AkronLawnBoy LawnSite Member

mow2nd you're funny!!!

Thanks Ribbie, it's good to know that there is still common sense in the world. Up until now, mowing and mulch have been enough for me, but now I am taking on new jobs that I have never done before. I'm not as lucky as mow2nd, I wasn't born on lawn mower.

8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just bustin ur chops man.......hope you took no offense

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Gonna have to agree with this. This forum boggles my mind every night when I read for a while..... The most BASIC questions regarding our industry, posed by those who make up the industry! Amazing.... but I guess if you've never done a certain task before, I can see asking.

10. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

my thing is if you dont know how to do it tell them and find them people that can. its always better to not take a job and give them names and numbers of other places that can do it, then to do it have it look like crap and them mad and tell people how crappy your work is.

i have done this before had a lady call and she wanted trees removed i have in my flyer light tree removel for smaller trees away from houses. here trees were right in between here house and side barn type thing and i was like i cant drop this tree with out it hitting some thing i can give you the names and numbers of people that can cut these trees down for you. i gave here the names and numbers of some and she called them and got some one to come out and remove them for her. she called me back and wanted to have me mow her mom and dads yard for them as a birthday present and paid me in full for the whole season.

so being nice goes alone way or thats how i see it.