1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

spring rain is killing us

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nashlawn01, May 5, 2013.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i did 4 yards today. 2 of them weren't too bad but the other 2 had alot of standing water in them. i was mowing one on the back part and it was like i was mowing grass in a lake almost. the surprising thing is the mower cut it fine. :laugh:

2. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Weeze, my luck I would have sunk the mower. That's how my week has gone. Between the flu and the rain it's been terrible!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i couldn't sleep last night because my throat was scratchy feeling and it's been that way all day today. stuff going around this time of year is weird. i guess this messed up weather is making everyone sick.

i did get stuck in one spot and i was like what am i gonna do? i can't pull the truck into the yard to pull the mower out since the yard was so wet. luckily i was able to rock the mower back and forth and get it out. these dang 1400lb ztrs are a nightmare if you get stuck in a ditch or something. you can't just push it out by hand you have to use a truck to pull it out. :laugh:

even today i felt like i was mud riding a good bit. :laugh:

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

man what is going on? since it rained for 2 days i'm getting all kinds of calls from people wanting me to come mow their yard??? i guess they want it to look good for mother's day weekend? they just want it mowed 1 time so i'm passing on all of them and saying i only accept customers that want it mowed all season long.

i bet you show up the grass is a foot tall and under a foot of water and they want it cut for $25. :laugh:

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If you leave tire tracks dont go back on that part of the yard, weed wack it or leave it.

I dont think were gonna be able to do any onetime cuts this week.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's just crazy to me. people don't think about it i guess. we are backed up from rain already and they want us to fit them in before the weekend. :laugh:

7. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Il do one time cuts for folks due to rain, but they will not want my services due to the price. There is a price for anything. Depends on how big there wants are. Being behind already due to rain is tough enough on me.

8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Funny you say that. One of my neighbor's a few doors up is selling their place and wants the lawn bagged and window wells cleaned out. He wants me to do it by Friday! I'll get it done but he'll be paying dearly and he knows it.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'm really starting to hate any sort of "holiday weekend". :laugh:

10. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Due to the rain and extreme turf growth i will be working on Momma's day.