Spring right around corner! WHAT TO DO?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ashs inc, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Ok guys. To get my yards looking great this year I plan on scalping all my warm season grass then aerating. Does this sould like a good idea or should i aerate then scalp???

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Scalp then aerate. Unless you want to be mowing dirt cores?

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The property owners will likely scalp you.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

3 to 4 inch high turf is what looks good my customers would most likely fire me.

5. packerbacker

Fire you for what?

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I don't deal with many warm season grasses but in fescue it would really give the weeds and crab grass a good chance to get started.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We only scalp bermuda for the spring. I wouldn't suggest scalping other types of grasses.

8. packerbacker

True and thats why i do all mine in the fall. I would cut it at about 2-2.5 inches and then aerate. I wouldnt scalp it to the crown.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

looks like if you scalp the grass it would kill it.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

He's in Alabama. He's likely talking about mowing Bermuda low, which is a quasi-customary thing in the South. Your Bluegrass grows very differently and it'd kill it to mow it that low.

My advice would be to go ahead and mow it down to maybe 1.5" to get rid of the dead stems from last season's growth. But if you aerate Bermuda before it's growing rapidly you will find that weeds will tend to fill the gaps instead of grass, especially when combined with a now-short lawn that won't shade out weed seeds as well as when longer. Aerate warm season turf in the warm months. Makes a great rainy day alternative. Some boots and a poncho and you'll be fine even in the rain.