1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

spring sales season

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Efficiency, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

For a 2 man operation I don't have that problem....yet.
    I still have it in the back of my mind that not even looking at a lawn is just plain lazy and the customer will see that. OR...there might be some skeletons in the closet on some lawns that I cannot deduce using software/online tool and I get burned. I fear I would be taking on too many crappy lawns by not visiting. It is a business goal of mine this season to flat out decline lawns where you cannot win the battle no matter how much effort you put in (i.e. dog shet everywhere, unkept hayfield lawns, etc)

Note I am not negative on tools to grow one's business, just slow to the table to try something unknown.
  2. greenskeeper44

greenskeeper44 LawnSite Senior Member

we tell the customer we will perform a lawn analysis on their first application and if the yard is deemed untreatable, 50% weeds or more, and needs a total kill lawn renovation we will call them before we apply......this has also helped us upsell on seeding in the fall....on the analysis we will tell them the existing weeds will die and existing turf will thicken up some but we highly recommend you seeding your lawn this fall to fill in bare areas for this price.....not sure how this will work in the fall because most people call for seeding bids and every job is different.
  3. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Told my salesman to stop trying so he only pulled down 17 today. Grabbed 30 on monday.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is insane!!!
    Thank goodness our calls are starting to drop off. It was starting to worry me a little as we are growing at a pace that I didn't feel exactly comfortable.

We were getting between 8-10 on avg per day with 2 days at 19. Now they are just trickeling in at 6-8 per day. Still crazy!

What was your marketing strategy?

That is a lot of calls per day. If you are landing 30 a day how many calls did you take total (closing rate)?
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Smaller OP here, I am happy to get 2-3 per day:)
    Of course with temps still in the 30's, I don't think we have hit peak sales time yet.
  6. Efficiency

from zone 6

Insane is right. I cant share strategy though. :) We are probably going to try franchising since we have found something that works like butter.
    My salesman was swamped on the phone and I was helping phones when I wasnt churning out website proposal requests. Our web guy built an amazing site that brings an incredible number of leads in. 43 total leads on Monday which turned in the 30 new sales.
    We are actually smaller than you in client count (i think) but not for long. We are shooting for 10k active programs in 5 years. :) If we dont make it, it wont be because we are not trying.
  7. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

bump this thread. very good thread I found from few months back
  8. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Rodney must have caught up to Efficiency's closing rate. He hasn't posted much at all this summer.
  9. Efficiency

from zone 6

Its not spring anymore. the selling high has worn off and we are stuck with a ton of clients. can hardly wait for selling season again, it really is addictive.
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is funny stuff but kinda true. Last I checked we had grown 54% for the year. We are still marketing hard and selling hard.

It is always selling season here! There is no time that is more important than another. We are running another commercial this fall and it is doing great. It is always time to sell IMO.

I can tell you this though...there are some serious growing pains, but having a blast.

Sure don't have time to post like I used to.