spring seeding in ohio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

technically speaking when is the best time to put seed down in the spring? is there an average temperature, soil temp, etc...? when do you guys usually do it?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you are getting the same rains as us.....I think it is safe to say that as soon as it is dry enough to go!

I usually try to seed in the month of April.

But technially you can seed all year as long as the customer will water.

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

the best time to do spring seeding is the fall.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

+1

However, if you must seed in the spring, don't expect soil temps to be favorable until early May. Then start the clock on germination time. Unless you are planting perennial rye, don't expect to see anything until June. COnsider also, I am from metro Detroit. Southern Ohio is significantly warmer by a few weeks.

5. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

If you have to spring seed, I would say it's pert near time there.

GC

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I seed from April to October.

If a customer is willing to water you can see in the middle of summer with no problems!

We had the worst drought here is a long time....and one of my anal customers asked me to see him in August. Temps were in the 90's almost every day.

I sliced it (against my will) and he watered the crap out of it! In Sept he had by far the BEST looking lawn in the neighborhood! Picked up several seeding jobs from his neighbors.

Fall is definitly the best time to seed.....but I would have to argue that spring and summer seeding work well also if the homeowner is able to take care of it!

7. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

rcreech,

I agree with what you have said. The only issue we have here is when our temps get into the high 90's and even low 100's in the heat of the summer, with those hot nights too, and then I see a high percentage of seedling mortality for the spring and early summer planted grass, because when the temperatures are that high, photosynthesis stops, the plant respiration takes over and utilizes the small root reserves for food, and results in plant death.

GC

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Copy that ! Add a little starter fert. and WATER WATER WATER