spring seeding techniques

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by IowaLawnEnforcement, Nov 12, 2006.

1. IowaLawnEnforcement

IowaLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

I have three customers lined up for spring seeding on established lawns. I am a bit green to the subject and want to do the best job possible, and make money doing it. what do I charge? I was thinking 0.03 cents a square foot just on the seeding and they pay for the seed. Am I close or way off base. Also what techniques should I use just overseed/ should I spread straw over the seed/ should I dethatch then seed/ HELP ME PLEASE:hammerhead:

2. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

i use a lesco slit seeder.works great for thickining up already established lawns.It cuts 1/4" slits in the soil drops seed and then covers it backup with thatch, great results..can be rented..

3. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

depending on how thin the lawn is follow these steps-
    1. 50% or lesss estasblished turf- aerate 2 directions and slit seed 2 directions and folllow up with a starter Fert.
    2. As percentage increases of establised turf you can eliminate, or just aerate once. Personally i like to seed in two directions no matter how lush the lawn is, takes a bit more time but results are superior. Again use starter fert and lime if called for.
    3. As far as covering seed with anything I only use straw, erosion matt, etc. if its a new construction job with bare soil and erosion is a concern.

4. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Just over seed with a slit seeder.

On hills, make your last pass against the slow to keep seed in place during spring rains. Straw is not needed, only creates a mess.

Wait until the seed come in and 3" tall before putting down Pre-M otherwise you will risk killing or damaging the newly germinated turf.

Thanks

David

www.LawnSolutionsCP.Com

5. golfkingisaac

golfkingisaac LawnSite Member

Aerate & Overseed!