spring special. Am I crazy????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapozer, Jan 4, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

I am a new start up and trying to get some biz and get some cash into the account. I am a one person team and starting off part time eves and weekends. I will have 1 21 inch and a 36inch wb, trimmer, blower ect and wondering if this is too low of a price for a spring special.

$99.00 special includes first mow, organic fertilizer, areation, sprinkler startup and adjust. what do you think? It is for 1/2 acre max and will expire 4-1-06
    shawn

2. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds pretty good. I am going to do something similar but im going to also do flower beds (im new to) . What about dethatching?

3. AbsoluteCurbAppeal

AbsoluteCurbAppeal LawnSite Member
    from iowa

what is your regular rate for these services?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that sounds really low in my opinion

Lets look at this from my point of view break down for a max 21,780sq ft property.

Mowing: $45
    Fertilizer: $99
    Aeration: $286
    Sprinkler startup: no idea, but am guessing around $75.

Right there is around $505 for me to do the work.

Maybe this might work for a smaller property, like around 5 to 8,000 sq ft.

8,000 sq ft property

Mow: $30
    Fertilizer: $36
    Aeration: $104
    Sprinkler: $50

That is $220 for me. For starting out, $99 might be ok.

Like I said, it might be a good idea for a small property, and I would go 8,000 sq ft max, not 1/2 acre.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not give a free aeration and fertilizer in September so they will stick around. Your asking for hit and run customers if you do all that on the first mowing. I wouldn't give sprinkler startup away. Well actually I wouldn't give any of it away for free.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is a good point

7. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

pozer, give me a call sometime. I get lots of calls from the littleton area and absolutly HATE giving away work. Oh and you are a little low but not too far off on your pricing if you do good work and in the right areas. Seems like most people in Denver metro are realy conserned with the depth of your aeration plugs but not the quality of work, so if you do both you should get a lot of referral business. what kind of aerator are you running? Remember Mile High Aer. charges $70 just for the aer/fert. Good luck and let me know if you might be interested in some more accounts.

8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Some states (i think CO included) you need a lisence to fire up the PVB on a sprinkler system, might wanna check that first.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I say wait tell spring..you might not want to be giving your work away at a lower price than normal.
    You could very well just get out there,get seen and do some flyers and be so busy you'll kick yourself for the spring special.I think it is TOO special
    I woulden't do the aeriation for that low, not 1/2 acre

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I could see 10% off or so but why 75% + off. You will dig a hole so deep you will work all year digging back out.
    Plus you are not selling a years worth of service??????
    And all of the customers you just worked for are now upset at you for raising prices so much. All the customer knows is, once cheap --always cheap

If you need cash now, get a job at Walmart till spring and than sell work at the right price. You will do much better in the long run.