Spring sprung.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Starting to get hot; in the high eighties today, but the flowers are starting up.
    Oleander, pink and white (the pink smells like vanilla). Creosote bush, yellow,
    and a couple maybe Matt knows. Into the nineties tomorrow, phew!

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0244.jpg

DSCN0248.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

70s or so here on Tuesday. People are going to get tempted to turn the systems on, and I'll accommodate them. And then fix the damage a few weeks later. But if I don't, I really believe some plants will start stressing. Turf should still be ok, but it couldn't hurt to water it too.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Cape Honeysuckle and Bougainvilla are the last two.

Was watchin the news last night and they were talking about how warm and dry this winter has been. Said in '03, at this time, we had the same amount of snow (very little) season to date, and ended up with 40 or so inches during March and April. Outlook is dry and warm, but a surprise could swoop in; not sure if I want one or not.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sub-freezing and another half-a-foot or more of snow to come ~ Bah Humbug!! :realmad:

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The next two weeks will tell us if a wildflower bonanza occurs and then we'll bail for Las Cruces, have not been that way in the spring before.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not following you here. Turf should be pretty much the first plant in a landscape that requires water in the spring, not the other way around.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

well so far we've gotten 1.2" of rain today, and it's a cool 36˚... just spent an hour out in it to go around and shut all the houses... calling for 3-8" of snow tonight and therefore needed to shut the houses because having the doors shut helps a little on preventing cave-ins. burrrrr.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

At this time of year the Kentucky bluegrass still does ok, except in high traffic areas. it still rebounds just fine with weak winters. Usually. But I've seen more shrubs not rebound and leaf out in the spring when they don't get much moisture in the winter. Or else they bud out later than usual.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Who the hell leaves all the doors open?

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I'm not sure what he means by leaving the doors open. Pump houses?