Spring start up for Zoysia??? Midwest

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CutNLawns, Mar 27, 2007.

1. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Here in the Midwest I do not run into very many Zoysia lawns to deal with so i am new to the maintenence issues with it. I have a "potential" who was asking about what they (I) should do to thier lawn to improve it. It is 95% Zoysia that is 20+ years old and looks to be in very good condition but they have several places that are so thick to don't think I part it to find thatch if I had to. they are asking about dethatching, aeration or burning. What is a good start up procedure for dealing with Zoysia? Thanks!

2. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

Here in the South we deal with various types of zoysia but I think you are referring to Emerald zoysia based on length of time that it has been on the ground and its density. Zoysia can be scalped down in the spring and try your best to maintain the height recommended, less than 2.5". In the south we get hot humid days and if you let this grass get to long you will create a lot of heat around the thatch layer which has the potential to get a fungus. Check with you county extension agent for more info on this subject. Its a beautiful lawn if managed correctly. Oh and keep those blades sharp!!