1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Start up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by drsogr, Feb 27, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer that I have done alot of landscaping for call and ask me to start up his irrigation system while I was there to plant another tree.

How do I do this? Is there anything more than plugging in and programming the module? I plan on making sure all of the sprinkler heads are functioning properly. I was curious if there was something I am missing. I know irrigatation people charge for this service all of the time. I plan on charging him...not sure how much though.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Turn on the backflow device slowly. Walk the property looking for leaks.

Once that is done, locate the timer. Make sure the schedule is set properly. Run each zone. Look for leaks, broken heads, or heads completely out of adjustment (Sometimes the winterizer guys pull nozzles to speed it up the process...make sure all nozzles are installed).

Once thats done, double check the timer to make sure its set to RUN, and your done.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm kind of wondering if it just might be a little too early for Kansas. We can get hard frost into May and although midwest winters have been milder recently who knows what can happen. :confused:

4. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Don't forget about testing the backflow.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Me TOO! They are announcing burn bans. It is dry enough to be scary, and the new gig has LOTS of landscape stuff out there that might be in jeopardy from a warranty stand point. To energize or not to energize? If that rodent had been in KS on the 2nd of Feb. I promise you there were NO shadows that day, but that doesn't mean I believe you can actually move the solstice. The answer is if I turn those systems on, the Ides' of March will smite me and I will be winterizing again!

BUT, if a residential customer wants to sign an waver and pay for a turn on...........Far be it from me to argue that the customer isn't always right. BTW, winterizing in March is expensive ;)

6. PurpHaze

So you're saying that we actually agree on something? I'm writing this one down on my calendar. :laugh:

7. drsogr

Thanks for all of the help. Can someone enlighten me and tell me how to test the backflow device?

8. drsogr

I am guessing a lot of people are going to want it turned out quickly with the almost 80 degree weather and the burn ban. Yards are looking dry!

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty certian that in kansas you have to be certified to test a backflow device.

It should be up to the client to have their backflow tested...not you.

10. PurpHaze

You need to be a certified tester and have the proper equipment. Here's a link to the definitive manual on cross connection protection.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/crossconnection.html