SPRING/SUMMER PRICES vrs. FALL/WINTER PRICES

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodten, Dec 3, 2004.

1. rodten

rodten LawnSite Member

During the Sping/Summer we don't have a problem making
    good time/ some yards 15 or 20 minutes, good quick money.
    But during the Fall/Winter, we might be there 1.25hr
    1.50hr, because of leaves and all the other stuff that falls
    and blows up in the yards. My question is, how do some of
    you guys charge for Fall work vrs. Summer work? Because
    it seems like we are coming out on the short end of the stick
    this time of the year, meaning dollar amount that we make

:dizzy:

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

nope. the customer is not responsible for acts of god. leaves, wet ones, dry ones, snow, branches, twigs, etc are all acts of god. welcome to the lawn business, when you are in rome, do as the romans do. work cheap, for free, whatever it takes. god bless, and have a nice day.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

lol, good one bobby. Rodten, why would you charge the same for something that takes you 7 to 10 times longer to do? Even homeowners know it costs more for leaf removal.

Had a customer last year who thought it should be the same price. They had 3 large oak trees in their front yard, and after spending 3 hours on the first clean up she tried to pay me and extra $5 more than my regular rates. I told her at that time it was my mistake for not negotiating the price, but the next removal would be $220. She didn't want to pay more than $40 which is when I told her that our service agreement had ended when the first leaves fell and if she needs my services again to call. She called after 2 weeks and by that time the price was $340 due to excessive leaves and rain. She ended up paying me, but it was quite obvious that she had tried to pull that crap on someone else before me.

Point is...customers will take advantage of you if you let them. Never...never perform extra services without first negotiating a price.