Spring Targeted Marketing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm stepping up my marketing this year, and was looking for some advice from folks who may have done this on a larger scale.

Here's my plan.. i couldn't secure my home show place this year, (which was HUGE last year) and I need to compensate. I was planning on hiring a hand-full of seemingly responsible people, and giving them about 8 hours of training, and knowledge reguarding general lawn analysis, and sales techniques. I was planning on about $9 per hour on this porton of the training. after training, I was planning on a commission of about $20 per sale.. with the goal being 6 sales a day.

Then on evenings and weekends, the marketing people will be sent out to neighborhoods, to talk to potential customers, and hang door hangers / pampflets where there are no people to talk to.

The idea is for my people to do a lawn analysis, measure the lawn, and market my company. If all goes well, they will set up an appointment (hopefully within an hour) where I will personally come and close the sale.. Hopefully adding a 'personal touch' to door to door marketing, and creating a little more customer loyalty.

What do you guys think about this strategy? has this been done before? and if so, how did it work?

I will have some less presentable people (or less favorable neighborhoods) doing door hangers w/o customer contact.

Got any other good marketing ideas that will put the customer right in front of me in person? That is the goal :)

Thanks in advance.
  2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Ray, how come you are not using your Realgreen software with the marketing features.
  3. Rayholio

there are several reasons... Primaraly though, The realgreen software won't put me face to face with customers like sales-people can do.

I've looked into mailing lists, and the sample list didn't have any contacts in my newest (and most important) neighborhoods. not that these neighborhoods were too new.. established for 3+ years. the places that did have a lot of 'hits' on the mailing list were areas that I know for a fact don't use services like mine.. So in short, I felt like the mailing list was inaccurate at best.. and over priced for not hitting the customers that I needed to hit.

The Real Green software is great for marketing people who I allready have made contact with, but it's almost useless to me until the mapping software gets an update to include newer developments in my neck of the woods (where over 75% of my existing customers allready are) and then of course I've also gotta find a mailing list that includes people on those streets.

Besides.. even if I did have the perfect setup on my RG software, a good marketing strategy should include more than just various mailings, and tele-marketing. I need people in the field, and I need a way to get people talking about me! I can tell you that radio advertizing doesn't work.. Pushing for referrals does. a good pertinant trade show will work to a degree.. being active in the community helps a bit.. but I need more! LOL
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Door to Door is very powerful, but I would not allow people with 8 hours of training trying to sell. I would use them to do nothing but asking the customer to allow you to give them a free estimate, pay them for every name, phone, and address that is willing to allow you to give them a free lawn estimate. Make sure you do block leading at this time, so you will not have to re-visit or re-measure for future offers. This way you will be accomplishing to birds with one stone.
  5. Rayholio

That asking to give an estimate would probably allow me to do a lot of quotes... but it's not exactly what I had in mind.. I want to be one on one with potential customers.. that's the goal anyhow.

I honestly don't have any problem training these people for a week if need be.. but I don't really know what I'm going to teach them that will take even 8 hours.. Heheh (sure I'll come up with something)

I don't want people who are qualified to be techs doing this job.. I'm just looking for someone to introduce the customer to my company in a favorable manor, measure, and then set up an appointment for me to come out and talk to the customer.. hopefully close the sale. If I've been set up correctly, closing a sale in this way shouldn't be that hard.. right? I would then pay the employee based on if I was able to close the sale.

So... that's MY plan.. I realize that it may not be the BEST plan... but my goal is to get face to face with potential customers. how much training should be required to accomplish this? Is it even a good idea?
  6. Rayholio

I guess that very few people here do door to door.. thought this would be a hotter topic..

Am I wrong? or is this something that pretty much only the big guys (scotts - trubrown) have been known to do?
  7. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I did it when i first started out and it worked out great i would close so many more homes than doing just mailers. Last year i even got a mailing list with phone numbers called them and followed up with a visit with ppl that sounded intrested. The door to door worked best though