Sprinkler ailments

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 20, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if we've had a thread dedicated to this. But let's discuss the ailments we have or will have from working in irrigation. Maybe give the new guys time to rethink their career choice.

Here's mine, and what I will worry about in the future

Bad knees and back from bending up and down all day long
    Knuckles and wrists are jacked up from installing poly systems with insert fittings and clamp crimpers
    - this was the reason I tried getting out of irrigation in '97, my hands hurt so bad back then
    - i still have 2 fingers that lock up when making a fist
    Hearing is diminished from not using hearing protection often enough around the compressor, pipe pullers, and trenchers. But it's also from when using commercial mowers, string trimmers, and backpack blowers doing lawn maintenance before irrigation. Anyone have the constant ring in their ears? Right here brother.
    Occasionally get finger nail fungus from using hands in the dirt

And the one I am worried about is skin cancer from being in the sun too much. I know Purp has talked about it in the past. I try to put sunscreen on many times thru the day. I put a little on before I leave the house, even if it's not for work.

Any others?
  2. My hands are usually raw and cut up and cracked during the spring from all the water, solder paste, and digging w/ hands in the dirt...Corn Huskers Oil works so friggin good...but I usually don't start using it til it's too late...
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Burt's Bees Hand Salve is pretty good too. My hands haven't been too cracked this year. Must not have worked very hard :)
  4. I was fine with just the usual occasional stiffness and dehydration issues from forgetting to drink water. THEN I contracted WEST NILE VIRUS and now I'm a mess. I literally have to monitor the number of steps in a day. I've lost the ability to be strong, flexible, and coordinated at the same time. Fortunately it didn't affect my brain. Did give me multiple personalities.:) :cry:
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that. The other one I get nervous about is Hantavirus. There are quite a few mouse nests and droppings in the valve boxes I work in. I read the other day Colorado already has 3 Hanta deaths this year.
  6. WaterGuru

WaterGuru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

My shoulders are shot. Down in south Florida digging in coral rock for 15 years really put a hurting on them. Gave me forearms like Popeye, but I have a pinched nerve in my left and a repeating dislocation in my right collar bone.
    My lower back has a tendency to give out on me and my hands go numb a lot.
    Other then that it's just the normal scars and dents form 20 years in the industry.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My right arm from the shoulder to the finger tips used to do that a lot. Not too bad this year.
  8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Joints in the knees and ankles. Arches hurt when using a sharpshooter to find those leaks. Not too much on skin cancer - always wear long sleeve shirts even in South Texas. Have to watch water intake - two episodes of heat prostration are not fun. (Not much problem with that up here in Wisconsin now however. It is funny to listen to the guys complain about the heat when it reaches 90+ here for a day or two then drops down to high 60's the next few days.)

As I get older I'm finding that ground is a lot further down and it is getting increasingly harder to get up. Much easier to point and have the techs do the work.
  9. Issues that I am dealing with between doing irrigation and sod installs and with the maintenance side of business....

Let's see blown right knee, left knee is catch up

Hips are starting to ache so bad that I don't sleep on my sides causing me to have tremors around the house from snoring(good thing my wife snores louder than me),

Surprisingly my hands only ache after working with the line trimmer more than an hour at a time, however my right arm starts with a tingling sensation then it falls a sleep and then I have to swing my arm in a circle a few times to get the blood flowing again. Then again, my hands use to hurt like heck after making my own swing joints from inserting blue twisters, however, since switching to the proprietary Blu-Loc system, no problems.

Health concerns, well the smog I breathe in on a daily basis in the bay area and potential to get Valley Fever(respiratory disease) from the dust I disturb when working in the San Joaquin Valley and of course, just like anybody else, skin cancer since it runs on both side of my family(parents family were farmers)
  10. My right heel is the only thing that hurts in the morning, digging with a trenching shovel for 16+ years. Other than that I feel I an in great shape for 40 years old at 5'11" and 178 lbs. I had a checkup for skin cancer last year and Doctor said I looked just fine.