Sprinkler backflow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jul 12, 2010.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

On a fire hydrant that is .....

[​IMG]

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I see that a lot here, they use the hydrant for a temp source until the main supply is ready. I also see pool trucks fill-up off of them with a meter attached.

3. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like there is a meter on this on too. Is that an actual legal testable backflow assembly though? Not sure if that's a testcock or not. I also not sure that there would only be one gate valve on a legal assembly.

Mick

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It looks like the city water dept installed that.

We can rent/buy hydrant meters here in wilson, they come read the meter once a quarter. It comes with a 2" rp backflow

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Here the spray trucks use hydrants to fill their tanks and eithe have a BF device or air gap
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Good eyes. I certainly would not pass that valve with one gate valve. Looks to be modified and possibly missing test cocks.

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a temporary hookup, most likely as Greenmonster stated: street sweeper trucks with water sprays. No testcocks needed.

8. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

why not just use an air gap?

9. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have hoped that an assembly that was propped up with a block of wood would have been a temporay hookup, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have to be safe and tested.

Here our Regional District has two RP's that are equiped with quick connect fire connections. They are rotated between 14 trucks or mounted on hydrants when needed. I test them twice a year.

Mick

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

That's a weird lookin hydrant. I'm surprised they don't have it coned off.. Tripping hazard????