1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sprinkler blowout pricing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Feb 9, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm adding sprinkler blowouts to my list of services and was wondering how much to charge. I'm buying a gas powered portable compressor for this. I was looking at getting one for general service of my own equipment and figured it could be a money maker at the same time.
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on the yard and # of stations and heads. Out here my minimum is $50 - and that'll cover most typical lawns 3,000 - 10,000 feet. If the yard is any bigger than that, as unprofessional as it sounds, I just BS it. The fact is I make a killing. No place takes more than 15 minutes MAX, so my profit margin is great... All it costs me is gas to get there + my $100 compressor and $15 worth of fittings...
  3. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Might want to post this on the irrigation forum, may get more answers there. Wish we could do blow outs down here, still to warm during the winter =(
  4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Blow outs are a huge money maker here. From they way I understand it you need the huge tow behind your truck gas powered compressor units to blow out a good sized system properly. Low balers do it for $35 here.
  5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Out here a $100 compressor won't even begin to have enough volumn. I rent a 185 from the rental store for $135 per day. We have a $40 minimum which is for the smallest irrigation systems consisting of 3 stations. Ours range in price from $40 to $300. But you have to work your butt off if you don't own the compressor. A good used deisel compressor is $6000. Fuel can run $30 per day also just for the compressor.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't heard much out of you lately MJB. Hope things are going well up there. Another drought like last year and they will be irrigating out here. I always enjoy your post, hope to hear from you more. We have made up for the drought "after" the growing season unfortunately. This weather is crazy the last year or so. Record heat and drought all Summer in the South East then too much rain and now tornado's all Winter. Global warming?
  7. atlcutah

atlcutah LawnSite Member
    from SLC, UT

I charge $50.00 min and thats for 4valves or less. and then 5 dollars per valve after that. 4 years ago I use to just do it for our mowing customers. 2 years ago I started doing it seriously. I start blowing out the middle of October and get done usually the weekend before thanksgiving. 2 years ago I did 150 systems. This past season I did 327 systems. There is a ton of money to be made blowing out sprinkler systems!
    I have heard of sprinkler co's out there that are charging min $70.00! And you can be in and out of a system in less than 20 min. Especially if you have 1 helper.
    I got alot of business from the neighbors of the houses that we were doing already. But mostly people would rather be safe than sorry!
  8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Hey Tacoma good to hear from ya. I've been buried in snow all winter so I turned my attention to all the indoor projects I'm behind on. Truth is I haven't even looked at a mower since Nov, but now that the snows melting I'm gonna have to start on equipment soon. Sure glad we don't have any tornados out here, it's pretty boring around here most of the wintertime. We've had so much moisture this winter it looks like water will be plenty. Hopefully we will all have a better year ..(no droughts would be a good start).
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I do mine on a sliding scale dependoing on when they call. $75 if they call before 10/12 $85 from 10/13 to nov 1st. $100 after nov 1st. Helps gets the calls in faster allowing for tighter routes . This yr we did 1045 blowouts.
  10. atlcutah

atlcutah LawnSite Member
    from SLC, UT

WOW! you could work 1 month out of the year doing that many blowouts! IF I did that many I would be lovin it! I would seriouly be thinking that I would just work 1 month out of the year and get into real estate with the rest of my time! Hopefully 80% of those 1045 paid in cash!:)