Lawn Care Forum banner

sprinkler donuts

21K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  Mike Leary 
#1 ·
Can anyone please suggest an on-line source for purchasing sprinkler donuts - cheap?

#52 ·
I thought donuts were to keep grass from growing over the sprinkler? The only thing that funnel looks like it will accomplish is accumulate clippings and leaves and funnel water to the base of the sprinkler, causing the soil to be even more unstable.

#53 ·
I thought donuts were to keep grass from growing over the sprinkler? The only thing that funnel looks like it will accomplish is accumulate clippings and leaves and funnel water to the base of the sprinkler, causing the soil to be even more unstable.
Donuts don't keep grass from growing over sprinkler heads unless they are maintained. My product requires much less maintenance to keep the sprinkler heads visible due to the fact that it is the user that custom fits it to their sprinkler head giving them the only true custom fit. Preventing grass from taking root between the donut and sprinkler head itself is the key to low maintenance. Similar products don't do this and require much more maintenance for them to remain effective long term.

As far as grass clippings, they shrivel up and disappear just as they do in your lawn now. Leaves do accumulate but they are easily removed. Actually the vacuum of the mower decks going over them often picks the majority of them out of this funnel. lol Once this funnel is installed, it doesn't retain water. All water gets absorbed by the surrounding ground just as it would without the funnel.

#59 ·
The sprinklers I work on don't need donuts.... or coffee. And they get all messy and sticky with icing. Of course maple bars and jelly donuts are the most difficult because they don't come with holes.

#60 ·
It does provide something to trip over, so Lionel Hutz approves.
You can walk on this donut all day long and not trip, it's made from a flexible material that gives. Concrete donuts often causes the sprinkler heads to fail when it's forced into them with the mower tires. If they don't sink beneath the ground first. Yet many folks swear by them to this day. "Different strokes for different Folks". :) It's All Good! :usflag:

#61 ·
The sprinklers I work on don't need donuts.... or coffee. And they get all messy and sticky with icing. Of course maple bars and jelly donuts are the most difficult because they don't come with holes.
"The sprinklers I work on don't need donuts...."

You shouldn't need to be working on sprinklers nearly as often as we all do, That's my whole point in a nut shell. I know some of us do make a great living doing so and many of those irrigation guys always will. Donuts aren't for everyone but I'll take a few Sugar Raised donuts if your taking orders. :)

#62 ·
I realized the one thing I forgot to mention about these pop-up sprayers along my drive way...

the so called irrigation "pro" who installed my system used no flex hose anywhere.

All bodies (rotary and pop-up) are directly attached to the pvc laterals with pvc fittings.

So in order to keep the weight of a vehicle off the heads, the donuts are required.

#63 ·
I realized the one thing I forgot to mention about these pop-up sprayers along my drive way...

the so called irrigation "pro" who installed my system used no flex hose anywhere.

All bodies (rotary and pop-up) are directly attached to the pvc laterals with pvc fittings.

So in order to keep the weight of a vehicle off the heads, the donuts are required.
I haven't found any donuts that really work against vehicle traffic, Including my Sprinkler Buddy. Those big concrete cones or spikes that some use work because folks can see them and don't want to ruin their vehicle tires. Many places don't allow them to be used though. The concrete donuts sink so quickly, they don't provide long term protection against vehicles unless one is constantly pulling them back up to where they need to be. That's been my experience as a lawn care professional for many years now.

#64 ·
Using flex hose, etc... doesn't always eliminate accidental breakage from mower traffic, etc... either. It does reduce it I'll agree 100% but the only way to eliminate accidental breakage is to keep the mower tires, etc... off of them to begin with. Keeping sprinkler heads visible is the key in my opinion. My invention "sprinkler Buddy" does that better than any other product found on the market today. It requires the least amount of maintenance long term and it doesn't sink or float away like other similar products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.