Sprinkler Geeks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Sep 25, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Since Jon started it, how many of you are one? Many ways to tell if you are.

You are on vacation but are fixated as to why the heck the system at the resort is designed the way it is. And you look in the valve box to see what valves they use. Did that in Snowmass this last weekend.

Or driving down the road you see a geyser and it takes everything inside you to not stop and fix it. I've stopped and turned off an RP at a gas station when I saw water pouring out of a valve box and running down the street. I told the cashier to call the owner or lawn company about it, mainline broken. Never fixed it or turned it on again. The place looks like hell and is up for sale anyway.

You are walking in the neighborhood and check out all the BFs on the homes and can tell which are not done according to code, or have been frozen in the past due to different ball vlaves, or repaired copper.

You try to build something cool out of PVC parts.
    You keep all (most) the old timers you replace - just in case, now you have a ton of them at the shop and don't know what to do with them.
    In your dreams you are either installing or repairing systems

What else??

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Man, you got it bad :D I dont know squat about sprinklers but really want to. A person like you I would like to spend a little time with and learn. In the mean time, you need some romance real bad :D Find you a partner.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Years ago, we vacationed at a Days Inn in upper Michigan. Told the wife I was going to walk to the store about a half block away to get a beer. An hour or so later I walked in and she asked where in the hell I'd been. Told her on the way back, I noticed the sprinklers had come on and they were spraying all over the driveways and sidewalks, so I stopped and adjusted them and watched as they progressed through a few more zones to see how they were working. I've also done this as I've walked in to restuarants. :help:

4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you don't have a passion for what you do or are not interested in finding out as much as you can then get another job. Once I lose the passion I am done.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've readjusted many commercial sprinklers while walking :laugh:

I also annoy my wife by opening every valvebox in sight.

But the real proof I'm a sprinkler geek, is that after working 50 hours in the field, I spent another 10 or so online looking up the next big sprinkler thing, or on here.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I used to save certain mechanical controllers, on the theory of being able to pull some essential parts from them. Had a pile of the old Batrow controllers, that homeowners loved because of the bank of slide switches that allowed manual operation. (the design was doomed to obsolescence, because it depended on a small {no longer manufactured, and stupidly expensive in its final days} stepping relay, and when the stepping relay got out of step, would result in a sprinkler system that suddenly switched on at midnight, when the watering day switched over, and stayed on) - my only regret about wasting the space for them was that I didn't have the energy to box them all up and ship them to the homeowner who had the bright idea to write every sprinkler guy in the phone book to see if they wanted to buy his old Batrow controller.

7. Dirty Water

How many people carry a Irritool with them at all times?

Cellphone in my left pocket, Irritool and Leatherman in the right.

8. Wet_Boots

Every time I think of buying one, I recall the nifty pair of pliers I picked up at a show, that ended up costing sixty bucks.

9. Dirty Water

Can you elaborate?

10. Wet_Boots

I think it was about the last time I ever bought something without knowing the exact price. But it's a really swell pair of slip-joint pliers, made by Knipex. However, knowing what the replacement cost would be, I don't use them much.

Actually, the internal dialogue when I see the Irritools is more like <i>"That's a case of beer."