1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sprinkler guy dictates watering schedule?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bobbygedd, May 6, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a new fert account. generally, i don't take fert only, but it's a 5th generation referel, so, i took it. i told him the way i want it watered is- 1.5 hrs, per zone, twice a week. his sprinkler guy told him, that's obsurd, cus with the amount of zones he has, he will be watering for 10 hrs by the time the cycle is complete. his srinkler guy told him, the system should be set, at 20 minutes per zone, every other day. i said, enjoy your weeds. input please
  2. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

does he have a well? or is city water? if it's city and u run it like u want he will get a crazy bill...you want him to keep yer watering program for how long? a couple days just to water in yer fert? that's no biggy, but to change it for the whole season sounds a little much...heck you water it too much and u get weeds everywhere...there must be restrictions on watering times etc...Florida everyone has designated days depending on address, even in massachusetts we're heavily restricted...just talk to the irrigation tech!
  3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

20 min. is to short, we all know that. 1.5 hrs may be to long. How many inches do you think 1.5hrs get you. I thought it was good for about 1inch a week although I don't know that for sure. At the least I would suggest 45 min 2-3 times per week
  4. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Bottom line ,your sold them the fert program, the watering goes with that also.You should have control of the timer.I think maybe it's time to put another clause in your contract stating that you are incontrol of setting timers ect.You can't have the sprinkler guy dictate how to water.Next thing you know he will be telling your client how and when you should cut.
  5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Ever have the fert guy tell your cust when and how we should mow. I have found that the fert guys in my area do more harm than good.
  6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

No pat answer on this one. Depends on many factors.
  7. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. All trades need to work together to obtain the best results for the customer. Have you tried to explain your request to the irrigation provider?

We are in a service industry and with coordination and respect for others, everyone benefits. Each part needs the other.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

1.5 hrs per zone .... WOW .... sometimes I get greedy n water my very front yard zone for this .... I'd say 3/4 of an inch per watering event is good ...

We're kinda slow down here ....but that normally comes out to 45 min per zone .... with water restrictions in our area we can water 2'xs per week .... so I could see in mid heat of Summer with no rain in sight bumping it up to 120% of the normal
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok you are both wrong.

As a professional you should know this. Calabrate the system. Find out how much water is being applied per zone per ten minute time. Then adjust to your conditions. Most turf and shrubs only require about 3/4" of water per week. Maybe a little more when very hot and dry. But 1.5 hours per zone is wrong. Do a little research before you tell your customer something like that next time.:dizzy:
  10. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear this all the time "The sprinkler company said run my system everyday for 10 minutes" I ask them why and please explain the science behind that watering schedule? Their response: golf courses do. My response: Golf courses have to account for heavy traffic over their turf everyday, they cannot run their sprinkers for an hour or more since it would soften the ground and create mud/ruts/footprints. Golf courses have a watering schedule that is tailored toward the business they are in, not for the overall benefit of their turf.

Their grass is full of weeds and moss and they look at me for a fix. I tell them that all they're doing by watering 10 minutes a day is watering the moss and weed seed/seedlings, there isn't enough moisture to travel down into the soil where it will be useable by the grass. The idea is keep the top of the soil as dry as possible and keep 1-4 inches below wet.

It's funny because we had a really hot summer last year and I watered my grass 4 times and it stayed green. 1.5 hours per zone with no runoff. Hate to tell people but in Western Washington, with proper areation you only need a sprinkler system from July 4th to Labor day (2 months), sometimes less than that.