sprinkler head damage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gwoods, Jul 19, 2002.

1. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

i have two cust that say i broke there heads i fixed one cust. how do handle this?
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Did you break the heads???

If you can do it yourself, which is really easy and cheap, just fix them. If you have to pay someone to come out, I would say fix these 2, and if it happens again make sure you didnt do it. Were the pop up portions broken???, or the whole unit cracked??
  3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Since I install irrigation systems and mow lawns, I take a box of spray heads and rotor heads in my trailer. I include fixing heads that are broken (even if we didn't do it) will be fixed in the contract. I charge $5 a head. When I do fix one, I put an all new one in, instead of just the pop-up protion. Most of the heads I fix have either sched. 80 nipples on them, or either cut-off risers.....they crack alot easier than swing joints or swing pipe.
  4. I carry a few heads and repair parts. If I hit one or customer thinks I did, I fix it no argument.
  5. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

Just fix it. I seriously doubt that it will happen to the same lawn so often as to make the lawn unprofitable. A happy customer tells 0-2 friends, a pissed off one will tell everyone he knows.:blush:
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: we have it clearly spelled out in our contracts that we are NOT responsible for heads that are not closing or that are malfunctioning, lets face if the head goes back in the ground your not gonna hit it. many lco in this area have the same policy
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We carry em on the trucks ..... got a "New" box of Toro 570's complete of 100 on eBay for $80.00 plus $15 shipping .... thats .95 per head .... got some 3" Hunters for about $8 @ same place

If we did it we replace (hopefully BEFORE the phone call) if it's just in need of replace we do 1" heads for $5 n 3" heads for $15 @
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Would anyone please explain how to replace the heads. I just payed another LCO about $50/ head to replace three heads that were not retracting, which i unfortonately hit. Im pretty sure it was just the part that rises up. Dont laugh or tell me how much i overpayed cus i already got it from my dad. If you guys only charge $5 per head, let me know how to fix this my self and saver some dough. If it helps, they were Rainbird T bird heads. Thanks

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

No one said "the guys" are charging $5 per head .... this is what we charge to replace the small 1" heads which is like putting in a light bulb ... larger heads are more n may need to be adjusted ...so they cost more installed

Prices are going to vary from the Exact brand, the system, the area, general cost of that area ....if your not sure of how to do this you should watch the guy install em when you pay to get em replaced .... understand systems vary from

$50 for 3 large heads installed is a good deal ... for us 3 large heads installed is $45 but this is a cheaper area to live so prices are lower ....
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Properly installed sprinkler heads are at the soil line and should not be broken due to mower blades or tires if PROPERLY installed!

Do not take it upon yourself to repair/replace at no charge!

If you see an unretracted head, spray it w/ some silicone spray or WD-40 (which you should have in your truck anyway) and let the client know which head must be checked out.
    If the head snaps because you drove your walk behind/rider tire over it than most likely, the head was not properly backfilled.

As far as fixing yourself - does your stat require an irrigation license like NJ and do you have it?? Also, if its a rotor, you'll still have to run through that zone and adjust pressure and arc.

The only time I'll ASSUME responsibility for a head is if I destroy one w/ a thatcher and/or aerator and was negligent enough to be remiss in marking all heads out prior to this service.

Remember: ASSUME = A** of U + ME