Sprinkler head quality

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 16, 2006.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I see posts in regards to what heads you guys/gals like to use and what you think about the "big box" stores quality, but, as a beginner, what kinds of things set the "el cheapo's" apart from the "quality". I would be interested in hearing your views whether it's spray heads, rotors, etc.

Thanks

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Quality to me means a rotor that doesn't stop spinning and a wiper seal that doesn't fail.

I've found that the Hunter PGP and the Rainbird 1800's both meet those qualifications.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo! Also the RB 5004 and one of Hunters spray heads (can't remember the model name, Tony knows it).

4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

That would be either the Pro-spray or Institutional Sprays from Hunter. I prefer the Institutional as they have built in PRS. We use Hunter Sprays and PGPs for heads.

5. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever used, heard any experience's using the "K-Rain" brand?
    Minipro, Proplus? compared to Hunter. They look about the same, are easier to adjust, but quality?? don't know.

;)

6. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Pro Plus's are good heads. Pop up 5" vs. other common heads that are 4" and when you adjust to 360 they keep spinning in one direction. Most of the time failures on "others" are because the go to the stop and don't go back. If you look at the patents on other heads they use K-Rain's stuff. Hunters PGP's are proven as well as the I20's. It also depends on the market....what can you sell? Do you want to be the majority or minority? In my opinion install something that you will be able to get parts for in the future. Toro and Rain Bird have had too many parts in the past. so when you service it you may not have the right part or be able to get a part or nozzle. Oh and Toro and Irritrol (toro owns them) bought the rights to the K-Rain pro and make them in their factories(Super 800 and CR 500). I haven't seen them to be the same quality as the K-Rain's

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

We use mostly K-Rain ProPlus. We used PGPs for years, then one day while in the supply place the manager asked if I had tried the ProPlus before. I turned up my nose and said that I had not. He informed me that they had buy-one-get-one free on cases. I thought about it for a few days and went back and picked up several. At about $4 a pop, I had decided it was worth a shot. I used them sparingly for almost a year. I don't know whether I was affraid to have too many out there at one time and have a massive backlash from it or what.

I finally started using them regularly and I have not left since. All of our residential new installs are now done with these, unless a customer specifically requests something else. In sand and in thick St. Augustine, the extra inch of pop height has been really beneficial. It is not unusual for rotors to sink a little over time here. It's only an inch, but it makes a difference. I have relatively few of these fail, less than even the PGP. And they are very easy to adjust, maybe too easy. Another thing I really like about them, one head does it all. I don't have to stock two models, one for 360 degrees and one for anything less.

My one complaint with them is that I have had several that leaked around the seal, right out of the box. Especially since the newer style came out. Not a huge number, but maybe 1.5% of them. I know that sounds pretty lousy, and it is a little annoying. But if they don't leak then, they are good to go. I've seen more seals leaking in Hunters than K-Rains after several years of use. So basically, if it installs and doesn't leak...it's good to go :laugh:

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I think the irrigation industry should standardize its sprinkler bodies and require alll manufacturers to adhere to it. Then you just change out to whatever brand guts you want to use and go your merry way. :clapping:

9. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

installed k rain about 10yrs ago the older version the k2. pulled a hand full out on spring start up but no more than any other brand beside nelson 6000s. bdb do you have that right that toro is making them at there factory or is krain making them at there's (as if it matters)? i was once told that the hunter pgp uses krain reverse mech. patents don't know for sure if this is true but sounds interesting