1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sprinkler heads and mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Michianamowpros, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Michianamowpros

Michianamowpros LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Morning. Does it hurt sprinkler heads to run over sprinkler heads with your mower tires?
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I ever (knock on wood) broke off a sprinkler head was when I accidentally ran over one with the Proslide. I try to avoid them if I can but have run over them before with my tire and it didn't seem to bother them. Good luck.
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Provided they are installed properly - no.
  4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

SWD is correct, if the sprinklers are installed correctly you will be fine, but I have hit two sprinklers because they were slightly up and very shaky. The guy who installed them was a cheapo with everything he did.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Hitting sprinkler heads with the tires is like playing russian roulette, you will break risers and that's a pita.
  6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Depends how high they are. I also agree with SWD. If they are installed correctly. I try to avoid the ones that are up too high. Proper installation of a head is below the surface.
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

In a ideal world all the heads would all be packed with dirt around them also so the head won't move either, but that is not always the case. if you do not want to repair broken risers steer clear of the heads.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Like stated by SWD, if installed correctly, you shouldn't have a problem 99% of the time
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have them in my yard and several customers yards and knock on wood have never had a problem.